Lon Babby: We took Michael Beasley on as 'long-term project'
From the projected go-to guy to a work in a progress to a reserve, Beasley hasn't adjusted quite so easily to his latest change of scenery. With the Suns, Beasley is averaging career lows in points per game (10.9), rebounds per game (3.8) and field goal percentage (37.3).
President of Basketball Operations Lon Babby was one of the men responsible for signing the former No. 2 overall pick to a three-year deal worth $18 million over the summer. While he didn't necessarily retract the lofty goals the organization seemed to have for Beasley going into the season, Babby spoke Wednesday about Phoenix's enigmatic small forward with cautious tones.
"We all knew the challenges," Babby told Arizona Sports 620's Doug & Wolf regarding the signing of Beasley. "Michael knew the challenges. There's not going to be any pressure or disconnect from us.
"Alvin Gentry's job is to win games every day, and we understand that and we need to give him the freedom to do that. Our job [in the front office] is to evaluate things in the long-term."
In the short-term it's safe to say that Beasley -- who has spent the last six games coming off the pine -- hasn't delivered the type of instant gains the front office likely imagined. With that said, Babby insists that now is not the time for anyone -- not fans, coaches or management -- to overreact.
"I understand the need for immediate gratification, and we all wish he were playing more," said Babby. "But when we took this on, we took this on as a long-term project. He's under contract for three years, and I want to access this over a period of time.
"The issues that we are working with him, on the court and off the court, whatever they may be, they are not going to get resolved in 20 games. And, we understood that."
Heading into Saturday night's game against the Portland Trail Blazers, Beasley isn't even ranked in the top three on the Suns in any major statistical category outside of blocks per game.
Since his demotion to the bench, Beasley is averaging 8.8 points per game on 39.1 percent shooting from the field.
- Dan Majerle, Suns legend & GCU coach - Thursday May 23Thunder Dan calls in to argue with Doug about last night's Pacers-Heat game
- Jared Dudley, Suns forward - Tuesday May 21Dudley talks NBA Playoffs and Suns coaching search with Doug & Wolf
- Alvin Gentry, former Suns head coach - Tuesday May 14Gentry talks to Doug & Wolf about the NBA Playoffs, the Suns coaching search and his future
- Denise McDonough, Ryan McDonough's mom - Friday May 10Mrs. McDonough talks to Doug & Wolf about raising the new Suns GM
- Melinda Dudley, Jared Dudley's mom - Friday May 10Mrs. Dudley tells Doug & Wolf what it was like raising the Suns fan favorite