McCoy: Gentry feels he's set with lineup for rest of season
Alvin Gentry may have found a permanent solution to his team's offensive woes.
The Suns' head coach has experimented with five different starting lineups this season, with the most recent shake-up coming Dec. 12. Since then, the Suns have won four straight games.
"I think coach Gentry likes the starting unit and certainly you'd have to say Jared Dudley and Shannon Brown have responded," Suns' announcer Al McCoy told Arizona Sports 620's Doug & Wolf Friday.
McCoy thinks Gentry will stick with the starting five of Luis Scola, Jared Dudley, Shannon Brown, Goran Dragic and Marcin Gortat going forward.
"I think it's going to last a long time," McCoy said. "[Gentry] said he feels he's set with this lineup for the rest of the season. Certainly the moves have been productive."
Dudley has seen his play improve since changing positions and Brown has thrived in his starting role.
"Jared Dudley is where he belongs, he's a small forward. He really operates in that position very well," McCoy stated. "Shannon Brown who wants to be a starter, he's one of the few players who can create shots on this team, so he's been certainly a great addition and I think that coach Gentry is very, very comfortable with that lineup."
The proof is in the numbers: The Suns have increased their field goal percentage and their three-point shooting since Gentry made the change.
The players seem to be responding well in their new roles but McCoy said they are expected to continue to perform well on a nightly basis.
"The energy level has been there," McCoy stated. "They've done a lot of positive things but as you know in the NBA what's in the past is in the past because there's always another game and these back-to-back games are going to be very important."
The Suns will face the Trail Blazers in Portland on Saturday night at 8:00 p.m. before returning home to host the Los Angeles Clippers at 6:00 p.m. on Sunday.
- Phoenix Suns don't have a point guard in top ten of WARP projections
- Phoenix Suns 2014 preseason schedule released
- The Pulse: Most say Eric Bledsoe and agent Rich Paul are at fault for contract standoff with Phoenix Suns
- Phoenix Suns single-game tickets now on sale
- New Phoenix Suns guard Isaiah Thomas undergoes wrist surgery
- Chris Sheridan- sheridanhoops.com - Tuesday August 19Chris Sheridan believes there is one team that could easily make a max contract offer to Eric Bledso
- Who impressed/who depressed - Monday August 18Dan and Vince look back at who impressed and depressed them over the weekend.
- Adrian Wojnarowski- YahooSports NBA writer - Tuesday August 12Adrian Wojnarowski says Eric Bledsoe has backed himself into a corner.
- Bickley Blast - Tuesday August 12Now that Donald Sterling is gone, who is the worst owner in sports?
- Jerry Colangelo, Managing Director of USA Basketball - Friday August 8Jerry Colangelo talks about the Paul George injury and Kevin Durant's departure from Team USA.