Updated Dec 24, 2012 - 4:06 pm
Technical fouls piling up for Suns' Alvin Gentry, Jermaine O'Neal
Well, except for one.
In Sunday night's 102-77 loss to the red-hot Los Angeles Clippers, Jermaine O'Neal picked up his league-leading eighth technical foul. For most coaches, this would be a cause for concern, after all the 17-year veteran is already halfway to a one-game suspension. But Alvin Gentry isn't exactly in a position to lecture O'Neal.
Late in the first half of Sunday's game against Los Angeles, Alvin Gentry was unhappy with official Rodney Mott's decision not to blow his whistle on what looked to be a clear-cut foul on Phoenix guard Goran Dragic.
Gentry's argument with Mott eventually ended in his first ejection of the season and put him second on the technical foul list among NBA coaches with five in 2012-13. He trails only New York Knicks head coach Mike Woodson, who has six on the year.
While it's encouraging to see how passionate O'Neal and Gentry are even in the face of a losing record, extra free throw opportunities for opposing teams can be deadly for the Suns, especially since nine of their games this season have already been decided by five points or less.
As a team, the Suns currently lead the league with 24 technical fouls.
- Phoenix Suns' Goran Dragic named NBA's Most Improved Player
- Kentucky freshman Julius Randle to enter NBA draft
- Jeff Hornacek: We got it back to Phoenix Suns basketball
- Suns' Jeff Hornacek finishes behind Spurs' Gregg Popovich in Coach of the Year voting
- Phoenix Suns' vocal, emotional leader P.J. Tucker wants to return
- Tim Kempton, Suns analyst - Wednesday April 23Tim Kempton defends his vote for Defensive Player of the Year.
- Tim Kempton, Suns analyst - Tuesday April 22Suns radio analyst Tim Kempton calls in to react to the blast.
- Bickley Blast - Tuesday April 22Bickley blasts on postseason awards and how making it in the playoffs makes a huge difference
- Eddie Johnson, Suns analyst - Monday April 21Suns analyst Eddie Johnson talks about the NBA playoffs.
- Robert Sarver, Suns owner - Friday April 18Robert Sarver talks about possible offseason plans.