Suns' Lon Babby: Rebuilding never moves as quickly as you'd like
As the Suns continue to rebuild during the post-Steve Nash Era in Phoenix, they are finding the process to be a long and arduous one.
With an 11-17 record, the Suns' focus isn't so much on contending for a title as it is getting back to the playoffs after a two-year absence.
"Our job is to get better every day and there are a number of ways to do that. The first and foremost is to develop the players that we have and now we've put a lot of time and energy into doing that and I think there are signs of progress," Suns President of Basketball Operations Lon Babby told Arizona Sports 620's Doug & Wolf Wednesday. "You never move as quickly as you'd like, though."
When Nash bolted for Los Angeles, he took the Suns' remaining star power with him. Babby said that kind of top-tier talent is hard to come by.
"It's challenging to find a player of that caliber and I think the vast majority of them actually come through the draft," Babby said. "I think if you look team-by-team as to where those star players come from they often come through the draft and they don't always have to be top five picks and quite often they aren't top five picks.
"I think we have to continue to do a great job of drafting, scouting both pro players and college players and just be ready to jump and seize the opportunity and take a risk here and there and try to develop the guys that we have."
Babby said the Suns are dedicated to helping along their young talent and cites Marcin Gortat, Sebastian Telfair and Shannon Brown among the current players who have shown improvement since coming to the Valley.
While the Suns are still in search of their next franchise face, Babby said they also pride themselves on finding ways to win from within.
"I think there's a tremendous benefit of saying it's great to be able to go out and get the finished product but at the same time you've got to take the products you have and refine them," Babby stated.
- The Pulse: Suns fans feel offseason has been 'incomplete'
- Phoenix Suns' Miles Plumlee named to 2014 USA Men's Select Team
- Phoenix Suns dig deep for shooting with Anthony Tolliver
- New Phoenix Sun Isaiah Thomas: 'I just felt wanted'
- Phoenix Suns GM Ryan McDonough: Isaiah Thomas helps achieve goal of building depth
- Chris Sheridan - Tuesday July 22Chris Sheridan weighs in on if Kevin Love will join LeBron in Cleveland.
- Ryan McDonough, Phoenix Suns general manager - Monday July 21General manager Ryan McDonough talks about the Phoenix Suns' offseason plans.
- Isaiah Thomas, Phoenix Suns point guard - Monday July 21Isaiah Thomas talks about his skill set and what he brings to the franchise.
- Marc Spears, Yahoo NBA writer - Friday July 18Yahoo NBA writer Marc Spears says the Warriors are backing out from a Kevin Love trade.
- Paul Coro, AZCentral Sports Suns beat writer - Thursday July 17AZCentral Sports Suns beat writer Paul Coro talks about the continuing free agency of Eric Bledsoe.