Updated Jan 18, 2013 - 12:08 pm
Alvin Gentry out as head coach of the Phoenix Suns
The Suns lost 98-94 to the Milwaukee Bucks at US Airways Center Thursday night. The defeat, their fourth straight at home, dropped the Suns' record to a Western Conference-worst 13-28.
Gentry was in his fifth season as head coach of the Suns and had compiled a record of 158-144. The 58-year-old became the coach of the team in February of 2009 on an interim basis when Terry Porter was fired in his first season on the job. Gentry guided the Suns to an 18-13 mark the rest of the season. He was given the job on a permanent basis following the completion of the 2008-09 season
Undoubtedly, the finest moments of the Gentry era came in the 2009-10 season when the Suns reached the Western Conference Finals before falling to the Los Angeles Lakers in six games. Los Angeles would go on to defeat the Boston Celtics to win the NBA championship.
The Suns have missed the postseason in three of the last four seasons and are very much in danger of doing so again this season.
The Suns don't play another game until next Wednesday when they travel to take on the Sacramento Kings.
- Phoenix Suns' Eric Bledsoe: 'I'm ready to go'
- Suns' Dragic credits new team mindset for success
- Former D-League coach praises work ethic of Suns' Gerald Green
- Suns center Alex Len keeping close tabs on Ukraine, honors country with special message
- Suns Strokes: Green engineers second-half comeback in thrilling win over Thunder
- Goran Dragic, Suns Guard - Friday March 7Suns guard Goran Dragic joins the Burns and Gambo show
- Bill Frieder, former Arizona State basketball head coach - Friday March 7Bill Frieder discusses the state of ASU basketball, and what should the NBA do about the draft age t
- Bickley Blast - Friday March 7The Suns got a signature win, and seem determined to make the playoffs.
- Eric Musselman, ASU basketball associate head coac - Friday March 7Eric Musselman talks about his relationship with Gerald Green, his thoughts on Jahii Carson's seaso
- Tim Kempton, Suns Color Analyst - Friday March 7Will LeBron return to Cleveland?