Updated Jan 18, 2013 - 6:32 pm
A crazy 24 hours in Arizona sports history
To summarize what happened, the Cardinals interviewed Bruce Arians for the head coaching job amidst rumors that they would lose defensive coordinator Ray Horton if the Colts OC got the head coaching job.
Later in the evening, Arians got the job and it was reported that Horton was indeed out in Arizona.
Of course, this happened while the Suns were in the process of losing to the Milwaukee Bucks, which dropped their record to a Western Conference-worst 13-28 on the season.
Then Friday morning, word came out that the Suns and head coach Alvin Gentry had parted ways.
Let's take a look at how it all went down through the eyes of the Arizona Sports 620 Twitter feed:
~ 1:30 p.m.
#Cardinals candidate Bruce Arians says as coach he would call offensive plays until he finds someone who can do it better than he does.— Arizona Sports 620 (@AZSports620) January 17, 2013
RT @kyndra620: Arians says cant comment on staff that are under contract (Horton) and that's something that's way down the road.— Arizona Sports 620 (@AZSports620) January 17, 2013
Alright, good stuff. Arians gave good answers to some tough questions and appeared to be interested in the job. But would he get it? That question would be answered hours later.
~ 6:30 p.m.
Ahh cool, the Cardinals' search for a coach finally ended. Sure, Arians isn't an exciting hire, but he may very well be a good one. But what will become of Horton?
~ 7:30 p.m.
So much for that, now Valley fans are going to have to come to grips with the fact that a popular and successful coach is leaving town, that stinks. At least the Suns are going to beat the Bucks, right? They always top Milwaukee at home.
~ 9:23 p.m.
FINAL - Bucks 98 @suns 94: Phoenix drops its first home game vs. MIL since 1987 and falls to 13-28 on the season.— Arizona Sports 620 (@AZSports620) January 18, 2013
Well that's not good, but at least the day has come to a close. Friday will bring with it a press conference for the Cards' new coach, and with it some optimism. We could use some good news.
Yeah, about that...
~ 11:00 a.m. (Friday)
- Phoenix Suns' Eric Bledsoe: 'I'm ready to go'
- Suns' Dragic credits new team mindset for success
- Former D-League coach praises work ethic of Suns' Gerald Green
- Suns center Alex Len keeping close tabs on Ukraine, honors country with special message
- Suns Strokes: Green engineers second-half comeback in thrilling win over Thunder
- Goran Dragic, Suns Guard - Friday March 7Suns guard Goran Dragic joins the Burns and Gambo show
- Bill Frieder, former Arizona State basketball head coach - Friday March 7Bill Frieder discusses the state of ASU basketball, and what should the NBA do about the draft age t
- Bickley Blast - Friday March 7The Suns got a signature win, and seem determined to make the playoffs.
- Eric Musselman, ASU basketball associate head coac - Friday March 7Eric Musselman talks about his relationship with Gerald Green, his thoughts on Jahii Carson's seaso
- Tim Kempton, Suns Color Analyst - Friday March 7Will LeBron return to Cleveland?