Updated Jan 18, 2013 - 6:32 pm
A crazy 24 hours in Arizona sports history
To summarize what happened, the Cardinals interviewed Bruce Arians for the head coaching job amidst rumors that they would lose defensive coordinator Ray Horton if the Colts OC got the head coaching job.
Later in the evening, Arians got the job and it was reported that Horton was indeed out in Arizona.
Of course, this happened while the Suns were in the process of losing to the Milwaukee Bucks, which dropped their record to a Western Conference-worst 13-28 on the season.
Then Friday morning, word came out that the Suns and head coach Alvin Gentry had parted ways.
Let's take a look at how it all went down through the eyes of the Arizona Sports 620 Twitter feed:
~ 1:30 p.m.
#Cardinals candidate Bruce Arians says as coach he would call offensive plays until he finds someone who can do it better than he does.— Arizona Sports 620 (@AZSports620) January 17, 2013
RT @kyndra620: Arians says cant comment on staff that are under contract (Horton) and that's something that's way down the road.— Arizona Sports 620 (@AZSports620) January 17, 2013
Alright, good stuff. Arians gave good answers to some tough questions and appeared to be interested in the job. But would he get it? That question would be answered hours later.
~ 6:30 p.m.
Ahh cool, the Cardinals' search for a coach finally ended. Sure, Arians isn't an exciting hire, but he may very well be a good one. But what will become of Horton?
~ 7:30 p.m.
So much for that, now Valley fans are going to have to come to grips with the fact that a popular and successful coach is leaving town, that stinks. At least the Suns are going to beat the Bucks, right? They always top Milwaukee at home.
~ 9:23 p.m.
FINAL - Bucks 98 @suns 94: Phoenix drops its first home game vs. MIL since 1987 and falls to 13-28 on the season.— Arizona Sports 620 (@AZSports620) January 18, 2013
Well that's not good, but at least the day has come to a close. Friday will bring with it a press conference for the Cards' new coach, and with it some optimism. We could use some good news.
Yeah, about that...
~ 11:00 a.m. (Friday)
- Suns GM McDonough not surprised by Phoenix's strong start
- Phoenix Suns' Eric Bledsoe makes ESPN's list of top NBA players under 25
- Kobe still winless after Suns beat Lakers 114-108
- Suns Strokes: Offensive outburst hands Phoenix first road win vs. Lakers since 2010
- Film study aiding defensive effort of Phoenix Suns' P.J. Tucker
- Ryan McDonough, Suns General Manager - Wednesday December 11Ryan McDonough talks about the Suns' recent success after beating the Los Angeles Lakers.
- Jeff Hornacek, Suns Head Coach - Tuesday December 10How will they prepare for Kobe Bryant?
- The DISH - December 10, 2013 - Tuesday December 10Jon Bloom gives us the day in Suns' history.
- The DISH - December 6, 2013 - Friday December 6Jon Bloom gives us the day in Suns' history.
- Lon Babby, Suns president of basketball operations - Thursday December 5The Suns beat the Rockets on Wednesday night.