Updated Jan 18, 2013 - 4:53 pm
Phoenix Suns do not have replacement for Alvin Gentry lined up
The Suns, with a record of 13-28, had the worst record in the NBA's Western Conference. They've lost 13 of 15 games, and have shown little sign of being ready to turn the corner.
Yet, when asked who the team would hand the reins over to, Suns president of basketball operations Lon Babby did not have an answer.
"We will definitely have an interim coach, just as sort of proof positive that none of this was planned, it just kind of came about in the last 24 hours, we're going to spend a little bit of time talking to some of our internal candidates," Babby said when discussing the team's decision with the media Friday. "It will be an internal candidate who will be our interim coach, and I hope that we'll have that resolved in the next 24, 36, 48 hours."
The Suns do not play again until they take the court Wednesday in Sacramento, so it is not as if the team needs to have a new boss in place immediately.
Earlier Friday, Yahoo Sports' Adrian Wojnarowski tweeted that assistant coach Elston Turner and assistant head coach for player development Lindsey Hunter were candidates.
But apparently that decision will not be made for a little while, as for now the Suns are focused on finding the right guy to lead them for the next 41 games.
And only the next 41 games.
"It will be an interim coach," Babby reiterated.
Adam Green, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- Suns' Dragic credits new team mindset with success
- Former D-League coach praises work ethic of Suns' Gerald Green
- Suns center Alex Len keeping close tabs on Ukraine, honors country with special message
- Suns Strokes: Green engineers second-half comeback in thrilling win over Thunder
- Green, Suns storm past Thunder in statement victory: By the Numbers
- Goran Dragic, Suns Guard - Friday March 7Suns guard Goran Dragic joins the Burns and Gambo show
- Bill Frieder, former Arizona State basketball head coach - Friday March 7Bill Frieder discusses the state of ASU basketball, and what should the NBA do about the draft age t
- Bickley Blast - Friday March 7The Suns got a signature win, and seem determined to make the playoffs.
- Eric Musselman, ASU basketball associate head coac - Friday March 7Eric Musselman talks about his relationship with Gerald Green, his thoughts on Jahii Carson's seaso
- Tim Kempton, Suns Color Analyst - Friday March 7Will LeBron return to Cleveland?