Updated Jan 18, 2013 - 4:53 pm
Phoenix Suns do not have replacement for Alvin Gentry lined up
The Suns, with a record of 13-28, had the worst record in the NBA's Western Conference. They've lost 13 of 15 games, and have shown little sign of being ready to turn the corner.
Yet, when asked who the team would hand the reins over to, Suns president of basketball operations Lon Babby did not have an answer.
"We will definitely have an interim coach, just as sort of proof positive that none of this was planned, it just kind of came about in the last 24 hours, we're going to spend a little bit of time talking to some of our internal candidates," Babby said when discussing the team's decision with the media Friday. "It will be an internal candidate who will be our interim coach, and I hope that we'll have that resolved in the next 24, 36, 48 hours."
The Suns do not play again until they take the court Wednesday in Sacramento, so it is not as if the team needs to have a new boss in place immediately.
Earlier Friday, Yahoo Sports' Adrian Wojnarowski tweeted that assistant coach Elston Turner and assistant head coach for player development Lindsey Hunter were candidates.
But apparently that decision will not be made for a little while, as for now the Suns are focused on finding the right guy to lead them for the next 41 games.
And only the next 41 games.
"It will be an interim coach," Babby reiterated.
Adam Green, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- Lon Babby, Suns president of basketball operations - Thursday December 12The Suns surprising run to start the season continues.
- Al McCoy, Hall of Fame Voice of the Suns - Thursday December 12Al McCoy discuss the Suns big win against the Lakers and what is coming up next for the team.
- Ryan McDonough, Suns General Manager - Wednesday December 11Ryan McDonough talks about the Suns' recent success after beating the Los Angeles Lakers.
- Jeff Hornacek, Suns Head Coach - Tuesday December 10How will they prepare for Kobe Bryant?
- The DISH - December 10, 2013 - Tuesday December 10Jon Bloom gives us the day in Suns' history.