Former Suns GM Kerr 'relieved' for Alvin Gentry
That's not exactly inaccurate.
Still, as far as former Suns GM and current TNT basketball analyst Steve Kerr is concerned, this is not the worst thing that could have happened to Gentry in his career.
"I'm sad for him, I'm also a little bit relieved for him," Kerr told Arizona Sports 620's Doug and Wolf Friday. "I know that he was under a lot of pressure, I know that this was a situation that was very difficult for him.
"It's always tough in the NBA when you don't have enough talent to really win."
Does anyone want to argue that assertion?
The Suns' leading scorer, Goran Dragic, is averaging just 14 points per game. The team does not have one double-digit rebounder, and they are not exactly racking up assists, either.
Yet, Gentry was tasked with keeping this team competitive, and while they were in most games this year, they weren't winning enough of them. Thus, the move.
"I think there's just kind of circumstances that lead you down that path where as a coach maybe you just can't reach the players, there's a frustration that sets in, and it's kind of like everybody just knows that it's probably time," Kerr said.
Kerr added it was probably apparent to everyone that the timing was right and a decision to cut ties made sense, as hard as it may have been.
"I'm sort of relieved for Alvin, but more than anything I'm sad because he's one of my favorite people on Earth. Just a tremendous human being. Funny, witty, cares about people.
"And he did a great job for the Suns."
Adam Green, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- Jared Dudley, Suns' Forward - Tuesday June 11JD gives us his player's perspective on the NBA Finals.
- Brian Windhorst, NBA ESPN.com Writer - Friday June 7Brian Windhorst talks about Game 1 of the NBA Finals and what to expect from the rest of the series.
- Suns GM Ryan McDonough - Friday June 7The Suns GM talks about prospects Ben McLemore of Kansas and Victor Oladipo of Indiana.
- Eddie Johnson, Suns' TV Analyst - Thursday June 6EJ previews game 1 of the NBA Finals. Plus, what are his thoughts on George Karl's firing?
- Victor Oladipo, 2013 NBA draft prospect - Wednesday June 5Oladipo discussed his workout with the Suns and why teams should want him.