Updated Jan 18, 2013 - 6:29 pm
Former Suns GM Kerr 'relieved' for Alvin Gentry
That's not exactly inaccurate.
Still, as far as former Suns GM and current TNT basketball analyst Steve Kerr is concerned, this is not the worst thing that could have happened to Gentry in his career.
"I'm sad for him, I'm also a little bit relieved for him," Kerr told Arizona Sports 620's Doug and Wolf Friday. "I know that he was under a lot of pressure, I know that this was a situation that was very difficult for him.
"It's always tough in the NBA when you don't have enough talent to really win."
Does anyone want to argue that assertion?
The Suns' leading scorer, Goran Dragic, is averaging just 14 points per game. The team does not have one double-digit rebounder, and they are not exactly racking up assists, either.
Yet, Gentry was tasked with keeping this team competitive, and while they were in most games this year, they weren't winning enough of them. Thus, the move.
"I think there's just kind of circumstances that lead you down that path where as a coach maybe you just can't reach the players, there's a frustration that sets in, and it's kind of like everybody just knows that it's probably time," Kerr said.
Kerr added it was probably apparent to everyone that the timing was right and a decision to cut ties made sense, as hard as it may have been.
"I'm sort of relieved for Alvin, but more than anything I'm sad because he's one of my favorite people on Earth. Just a tremendous human being. Funny, witty, cares about people.
"And he did a great job for the Suns."
Adam Green, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- Suns general manager Ryan McDonough: 'We'd like to have' Channing Frye back next season
- Phoenix Suns GM: It would be a waste of time for another team to pursue Eric Bledsoe
- If you dislike Robert Sarver, don't read this!
- Robert Sarver reflects on his 10 years at the helm of the Phoenix Suns
- Gordon, Johnson declare for NBA draft
- Ryan McDonough, Suns general manager - Wednesday April 16Suns general manager Ryan McDonough discusses the team missing the playoffs.
- The DISH - April 16, 2014 - Wednesday April 16Jon Bloom gives us The Day in Suns' History.
- Bickley Blast - Tuesday April 15Dan goes off on the Suns missing the playoffs.
- Jeff Hornacek, Suns head coach - Tuesday April 15Why were the Suns able to surpass early season expectations?
- The DISH - April 14, 2014 - Monday April 14Jon Bloom gives us the Day In Suns History.