Updated Jan 18, 2013 - 6:29 pm
Former Suns GM Kerr 'relieved' for Alvin Gentry
That's not exactly inaccurate.
Still, as far as former Suns GM and current TNT basketball analyst Steve Kerr is concerned, this is not the worst thing that could have happened to Gentry in his career.
"I'm sad for him, I'm also a little bit relieved for him," Kerr told Arizona Sports 620's Doug and Wolf Friday. "I know that he was under a lot of pressure, I know that this was a situation that was very difficult for him.
"It's always tough in the NBA when you don't have enough talent to really win."
Does anyone want to argue that assertion?
The Suns' leading scorer, Goran Dragic, is averaging just 14 points per game. The team does not have one double-digit rebounder, and they are not exactly racking up assists, either.
Yet, Gentry was tasked with keeping this team competitive, and while they were in most games this year, they weren't winning enough of them. Thus, the move.
"I think there's just kind of circumstances that lead you down that path where as a coach maybe you just can't reach the players, there's a frustration that sets in, and it's kind of like everybody just knows that it's probably time," Kerr said.
Kerr added it was probably apparent to everyone that the timing was right and a decision to cut ties made sense, as hard as it may have been.
"I'm sort of relieved for Alvin, but more than anything I'm sad because he's one of my favorite people on Earth. Just a tremendous human being. Funny, witty, cares about people.
"And he did a great job for the Suns."
Adam Green, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- Suns guard Goran Dragic leads Slovenians to win in World Cup opener
- Phoenix Suns launch a social media campaign to find new fan models
- Former Phoenix Suns guard Leandro Barbosa signs with the Golden State Warriors
- Suns guard Goran Dragic limited as Slovenia routed by United States in World Cup exhibition
- Report: Phoenix Suns reach out to Minnesota Timberwolves about an Eric Bledsoe-Kevin Love trade
- Lionel Hollins, head coach Brooklyn Nets - Wednesday August 27The head coach of the Brooklyn Nets joins Doug & Wolf for the ASU Sun Devil Fork Report.
- Kirk Gibson, D-backs manager - Tuesday August 26D-backs manager Kirk Gibson discusses possible changes to a six-man rotation.
- Paul Coro - azcentral sports Suns writer - Tuesday August 26Paul Coro discusses Eric Bledsoe still being a restricted free agent.
- Chris Sheridan- sheridanhoops.com - Tuesday August 19Chris Sheridan believes there is one team that could easily make a max contract offer to Eric Bledso
- Who impressed/who depressed - Monday August 18Dan and Vince look back at who impressed and depressed them over the weekend.