Updated Jan 18, 2013 - 6:29 pm
Former Suns GM Kerr 'relieved' for Alvin Gentry
That's not exactly inaccurate.
Still, as far as former Suns GM and current TNT basketball analyst Steve Kerr is concerned, this is not the worst thing that could have happened to Gentry in his career.
"I'm sad for him, I'm also a little bit relieved for him," Kerr told Arizona Sports 620's Doug and Wolf Friday. "I know that he was under a lot of pressure, I know that this was a situation that was very difficult for him.
"It's always tough in the NBA when you don't have enough talent to really win."
Does anyone want to argue that assertion?
The Suns' leading scorer, Goran Dragic, is averaging just 14 points per game. The team does not have one double-digit rebounder, and they are not exactly racking up assists, either.
Yet, Gentry was tasked with keeping this team competitive, and while they were in most games this year, they weren't winning enough of them. Thus, the move.
"I think there's just kind of circumstances that lead you down that path where as a coach maybe you just can't reach the players, there's a frustration that sets in, and it's kind of like everybody just knows that it's probably time," Kerr said.
Kerr added it was probably apparent to everyone that the timing was right and a decision to cut ties made sense, as hard as it may have been.
"I'm sort of relieved for Alvin, but more than anything I'm sad because he's one of my favorite people on Earth. Just a tremendous human being. Funny, witty, cares about people.
"And he did a great job for the Suns."
Adam Green, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- Phoenix Suns dig deep for shooting with Anthony Tolliver
- New Phoenix Sun Isaiah Thomas: 'I just felt wanted'
- Phoenix Suns GM Ryan McDonough: Isaiah Thomas helps achieve goal of building depth
- Phoenix Suns GM on Eric Bledsoe: 'I think he will be back at the end of the day'
- Phoenix Suns go all in on two point-guard lineups
- Ryan McDonough, Phoenix Suns general manager - Monday July 21General manager Ryan McDonough talks about the Phoenix Suns' offseason plans.
- Isaiah Thomas, Phoenix Suns point guard - Monday July 21Isaiah Thomas talks about his skill set and what he brings to the franchise.
- Marc Spears, Yahoo NBA writer - Friday July 18Yahoo NBA writer Marc Spears says the Warriors are backing out from a Kevin Love trade.
- Paul Coro, AZCentral Sports Suns beat writer - Thursday July 17AZCentral Sports Suns beat writer Paul Coro talks about the continuing free agency of Eric Bledsoe.
- Chris Broussard, ESPN NBA insider - Thursday July 17ESPN NBA insider Chris Broussard gives his take on Eric Bledsoe’s contract situation with the Phoeni