Updated Jan 18, 2013 - 6:30 pm
Suns' Babby on Gentry decision: We were not progressing
Gentry compiled a 158-144 record over parts of five seasons as the team's head coach, and reached the Western Conference Finals in 2010.
Yet, the team missed the playoffs in each of the last two seasons, and has a conference-worst 13-28 record right now.
But wins and losses, at least on a basic level, are not why the Suns and Gentry parted ways Friday.
"You can have a feeling, you can have a time when you feel like you're not progressing," Suns president of basketball operations Lon Babby told Arizona Sports 620's Doug and Wolf Friday. "That there's just a sense this has run its course and that we're out of ideas and we're out of solutions."
Babby explained that holds true for management and coaches, and added that "nobody stays in these jobs forever."
But he saw no need in giving specific details, other than to say it was more of a "feel" than a "specific thing" that led to the decision.
Adam Green, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- Owner Robert Sarver: Phoenix Suns not trying to lowball RFA Eric Bledsoe
- An open letter to Eric Bledsoe
- Suns relationship with Bledsoe described as headed towards ruined
- The Pulse: Fans say Suns need to negotiate smaller contract with Eric Bledsoe
- Report: Phoenix Suns' P.J. Tucker arrested in Scottsdale in May for extreme DUI
- Robert Sarver, Phoenix Suns Owner - Friday August 1Phoenix Suns owner Robert Sarver joins the show to discuss Gambo's letter to Eric Bledsoe.
- Chris Sheridan - Tuesday July 22Chris Sheridan weighs in on if Kevin Love will join LeBron in Cleveland.
- Ryan McDonough, Phoenix Suns general manager - Monday July 21General manager Ryan McDonough talks about the Phoenix Suns' offseason plans.
- Isaiah Thomas, Phoenix Suns point guard - Monday July 21Isaiah Thomas talks about his skill set and what he brings to the franchise.
- Marc Spears, Yahoo NBA writer - Friday July 18Yahoo NBA writer Marc Spears says the Warriors are backing out from a Kevin Love trade.