Updated Jan 20, 2013 - 2:17 pm
Suns assistants Dan Majerle, Elston Turner might not join Lindsey Hunter's staff
When news came down Friday that Alvin Gentry and the organization had agreed to mutually part ways, both Dan Majerle and lead assistant Elston Turner quickly became obvious choices to fill in for the remainder of the 2012-13 season.
Majerle, who played eight of his 14 NBA seasons with the Suns, had his jersey retired by the organization in 2003 and has been an assistant coach since July 2008.
Turner was an NBA assistant for 14 years with the Houston Rockets, Sacramento Kings and Portland Trail Blazers before coming to the Valley in 2011. He also played eight seasons in the league with the Chicago Bulls, Dallas Mavericks and Denver Nuggets.
While both have plenty of playing and coaching experience, Lance Blanks and Co. opted to go with an unproven candidate in Hunter, primarily because of his background in player development. The result, however, has created a sense of unknown regarding the state of the team's coaching staff heading into Wednesday's game with the Kings.
"Everyone was offered to stay," Blanks said when asked about the future of Majerle and Turner with the team. "Lindsey will be meeting with the staff this afternoon and organizing things.
"We do expect that he'll have veteran support either on or behind the bench with him."
Neither Majerle or Turner were present for the Suns practice Sunday, and when reached for comment Turner told Arizona Sports 620's Craig Grialou that he was weighing all of his options.
Dave Dulberg, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- Suns relationship with Bledsoe described as headed towards ruined
- The Pulse: Fans say Suns need to negotiate smaller contract with Eric Bledsoe
- Report: Phoenix Suns' P.J. Tucker arrested in Scottsdale in May for extreme DUI
- ESPN Insider: Goran Dragic is a max-contract candidate after next season
- Eric Bledsoe: 'I can understand the Suns are using restricted free agency against me'
- Chris Sheridan - Tuesday July 22Chris Sheridan weighs in on if Kevin Love will join LeBron in Cleveland.
- Ryan McDonough, Phoenix Suns general manager - Monday July 21General manager Ryan McDonough talks about the Phoenix Suns' offseason plans.
- Isaiah Thomas, Phoenix Suns point guard - Monday July 21Isaiah Thomas talks about his skill set and what he brings to the franchise.
- Marc Spears, Yahoo NBA writer - Friday July 18Yahoo NBA writer Marc Spears says the Warriors are backing out from a Kevin Love trade.
- Paul Coro, AZCentral Sports Suns beat writer - Thursday July 17AZCentral Sports Suns beat writer Paul Coro talks about the continuing free agency of Eric Bledsoe.