Updated Jan 20, 2013 - 5:55 pm
Looking at Dan Majerle's future with Suns
The man Cotton Fitzsimmons told every Suns fan they would regret booing, was hoping to be the next head coach. Just as his coach had drafted him to help change the Suns' fortunes, he wanted to follow in Cotton's footsteps.
Majerle had mixed feelings because no one likes to see their friend get fired, yet there was an NBA job opening with the team he loved the most. A job as an NBA head coach that he knows he is ready to accept.
"Listen," Majerle said, "the fact it wasn't working doesn't mean Alvin can't coach but maybe guys need a different voice. We all know it's a business and change happens."
Dan Majerle, Elston Turner and Lindsey Hunter interviewed for the job of head coach of the Phoenix Suns. Hunter was selected by GM Lance Blanks and president Lon Babby to take over the position in light of Alvin Gentry's departure Friday.
"If I would have been the guy I would have given everything to the job," Majerle told me during a phone conversation Sunday. " If Elston would have been the guy, I would definitely stay on."
A source had told me that the players had been asked by management (I wasn't told who in management) what their thoughts would be on a potential interim coach. The majority of players sided with Majerle. One player even told me, "Dan was my guy," after the news of Hunter's hiring became public.
As this topic came up, Majerle said, "You didn't hear that from me." When I pushed him to let me know if that source was correct he simply said he was glad to have the players' support but was in no way angling for it.
So I asked the question every Suns fan wants to know. I asked if Dan Majerle was going to stay on as an assistant coach. Right now, Majerle doesn't know.
"I think we'll get together and decide what's best for the Suns and go from there," he said.
Doug Franz, Co-host of Doug & Wolf
- Phoenix Suns' Eric Bledsoe: 'I'm ready to go'
- Suns' Dragic credits new team mindset for success
- Former D-League coach praises work ethic of Suns' Gerald Green
- Suns center Alex Len keeping close tabs on Ukraine, honors country with special message
- Suns Strokes: Green engineers second-half comeback in thrilling win over Thunder
- Goran Dragic, Suns Guard - Friday March 7Suns guard Goran Dragic joins the Burns and Gambo show
- Bill Frieder, former Arizona State basketball head coach - Friday March 7Bill Frieder discusses the state of ASU basketball, and what should the NBA do about the draft age t
- Bickley Blast - Friday March 7The Suns got a signature win, and seem determined to make the playoffs.
- Eric Musselman, ASU basketball associate head coac - Friday March 7Eric Musselman talks about his relationship with Gerald Green, his thoughts on Jahii Carson's seaso
- Tim Kempton, Suns Color Analyst - Friday March 7Will LeBron return to Cleveland?