Majerle, Turner's future with Phoenix Suns still up in the air
The Phoenix Suns have had two practices since the team named Lindsey Hunter as interim head coach on Sunday and assistants Dan Majerle and Elston Turner have been absent from both.
Hunter said the future of both coaches remains up in the air but expects the solution will "play itself out."
If they do rejoin the Suns, Hunter said he doesn't know when that would be. Phoenix is set to face the Kings in Sacramento on Wednesday so a resolution should be expected by Tuesday.
"I am not sure. Our front office probably has more knowledge about it than I do," Hunter said. "So what we're dealing with right now and that's being down here and trying to get better."
The Suns' new coach said he recognizes the situation is a delicate one and hurt feelings can be involved.
"I am sure being a coach and wanting to be a head coach and not getting an opportunity you know that hurts and I understand that and I am compassionate about that part of it," Hunter said. "I don't know what will come from anything of this but you wish the guys that are not with us the best and the guys that are with us, we're going to work."
Hunter bypassed a 14-year assistant in Elston and a Suns legend in Majerle when he was picked to replace Alvin Gentry.
If Majerle and Elston opt not to return, Hunter said he has no plans to bring any other coaches on board. The remaining staff members Igor Kokoskov, Noel Gillespie and player development coaches Corey Gaines and Ralph Sampson would assume more responsibility for the rest of the season.
Daria Del Colliano, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- After grueling stretch, Phoenix Suns hope to make up ground in March
- Phoenix Suns' P.J. Tucker suspended by the NBA
- What do you want to be, Eric Bledsoe?
- Coach Jeff Hornacek: Suns 'need to get out of their comfort zone' after recent losses
- Griffin, Clippers top Suns in testy divisional affair: By the Numbers
- Ryan McDonough, Suns general manager - Tuesday March 11Suns general manager Ryan McDonough discusses the return of Eric Bledsoe.
- Jeff Hornacek, Phoenix Suns Head Coach - Tuesday March 11Do the Suns lack toughness?
- It's Paul's Call with Paul Calvisi! - Monday March 10A fishy election in North Korea
- Goran Dragic, Suns Guard - Friday March 7Suns guard Goran Dragic joins the Burns and Gambo show
- Bill Frieder, former Arizona State basketball head coach - Friday March 7Bill Frieder discusses the state of ASU basketball, and what should the NBA do about the draft age t