Updated Jan 21, 2013 - 5:40 pm
Suns' head coach Lindsey Hunter plans to instill a strong emphasis on defense
Phoenix Suns interim head coach Lindsey Hunter is ready to institute a new style of play in the Valley.
Hunter told Arizona Sports 620's Doug & Wolf Monday he plans to instill a strong emphasis on defense.
"I am a Detroit kind of guy, that's kind of where I've had the most success," Hunter said. "I love tough-minded, defensive-minded teams and that would be the ideal identity for us."
Hunter said he doesn't expect the transition to happen overnight but he feels the team can have great success moving forward if they can assume that kind of mentality.
"We'll see how close we can get to being a really good defensive team but we are going to work hard at it," Hunter stated. "That would be ideal for us if we could defend, create turnovers, as well as run."
The Suns' new head coach believes creating the right environment and holding players accountable could also go a long way to helping establish a winning model.
"Everyday I think we have to try to establish a culture and identity," Hunter said. "You slowly but surely build that culture and you build that frame of mind with guys and teaching guys how to practice winning habits."
Hunter said he plans to emphasize to the players the importance of completing every play they start and not taking shortcuts.
He's also been impressed with what he's seen from his players thus far at practice since taking the head coaching reins.
"Guys were really working hard," Hunter said. "They gave us maximum effort and that's all you can ask for."
Hunter will coach his first game for the Suns on Wednesday in Sacramento against the Kings.
Daria Del Colliano, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- Morris twins 'better together' for Phoenix Suns
- Suns GM McDonough not surprised by Phoenix's strong start
- Phoenix Suns' Eric Bledsoe makes ESPN's list of top NBA players under 25
- Kobe still winless after Suns beat Lakers 114-108
- Suns Strokes: Offensive outburst hands Phoenix first road win vs. Lakers since 2010
- Lon Babby, Suns president of basketball operations - Thursday December 12The Suns surprising run to start the season continues.
- Al McCoy, Hall of Fame Voice of the Suns - Thursday December 12Al McCoy discuss the Suns big win against the Lakers and what is coming up next for the team.
- Ryan McDonough, Suns General Manager - Wednesday December 11Ryan McDonough talks about the Suns' recent success after beating the Los Angeles Lakers.
- Jeff Hornacek, Suns Head Coach - Tuesday December 10How will they prepare for Kobe Bryant?
- The DISH - December 10, 2013 - Tuesday December 10Jon Bloom gives us the day in Suns' history.