Suns' head coach Lindsey Hunter plans to instill a strong emphasis on defense
Phoenix Suns interim head coach Lindsey Hunter is ready to institute a new style of play in the Valley.
Hunter told Arizona Sports 620's Doug & Wolf Monday he plans to instill a strong emphasis on defense.
"I am a Detroit kind of guy, that's kind of where I've had the most success," Hunter said. "I love tough-minded, defensive-minded teams and that would be the ideal identity for us."
Hunter said he doesn't expect the transition to happen overnight but he feels the team can have great success moving forward if they can assume that kind of mentality.
"We'll see how close we can get to being a really good defensive team but we are going to work hard at it," Hunter stated. "That would be ideal for us if we could defend, create turnovers, as well as run."
The Suns' new head coach believes creating the right environment and holding players accountable could also go a long way to helping establish a winning model.
"Everyday I think we have to try to establish a culture and identity," Hunter said. "You slowly but surely build that culture and you build that frame of mind with guys and teaching guys how to practice winning habits."
Hunter said he plans to emphasize to the players the importance of completing every play they start and not taking shortcuts.
He's also been impressed with what he's seen from his players thus far at practice since taking the head coaching reins.
"Guys were really working hard," Hunter said. "They gave us maximum effort and that's all you can ask for."
Hunter will coach his first game for the Suns on Wednesday in Sacramento against the Kings.
Daria Del Colliano, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- Alvin Gentry, former Suns head coach - Tuesday May 14Gentry talks to Doug & Wolf about the NBA Playoffs, the Suns coaching search and his future
- Denise McDonough, Ryan McDonough's mom - Friday May 10Mrs. McDonough talks to Doug & Wolf about raising the new Suns GM
- Melinda Dudley, Jared Dudley's mom - Friday May 10Mrs. Dudley tells Doug & Wolf what it was like raising the Suns fan favorite
- Tom Chambers, Suns legend - Friday May 10Chambers tells Doug & Wolf who he'd like to see hired as the new head coach of the Suns
- Ryan McDonough, Suns general manager - Thursday May 9McDonough talks to Doug & Wolf about what he's looking for in a new head coach