Updated Jan 21, 2013 - 10:17 pm
Dan Majerle out as Suns assistant coach
Dan Majerle is out as Suns assistant coach, sorry about the misspelling on the first one— John Gambadoro (@Gambo620) January 22, 2013
Majerle, who played eight seasons with the Suns and is one of the most popular players in franchise history, became an assistant coach in 2008 and guided the Suns summer league teams in Las Vegas for four seasons.
Majerle's status was up in the air after the Suns fired head coach Alvin Gentry Friday and named player development coordinator Lindsey Hunter as the interim coach Sunday -- bypassing both Majerle and Elston Turner, who has 14 years of assistant coaching experience in the NBA.
Majerle will be paid in full for the rest of the season.
The team was also planning a Dan Majerle Fathead promotional giveaway for the January 30 game against the Los Angeles Lakers, but that is now in doubt due to Majerle's departure.
Hunter will make his debut on the Suns bench Wednesday night in Sacramento against the Kings.
- Reserves lead Suns to season-ending win over Kings: By The Numbers
- Suns general manager Ryan McDonough: 'We'd like to have' Channing Frye back next season
- Phoenix Suns GM: It would be a waste of time for another team to pursue Eric Bledsoe
- If you dislike Robert Sarver, don't read this!
- Robert Sarver reflects on his 10 years at the helm of the Phoenix Suns
- Ryan McDonough, Suns general manager - Wednesday April 16Suns general manager Ryan McDonough discusses the team missing the playoffs.
- The DISH - April 16, 2014 - Wednesday April 16Jon Bloom gives us The Day in Suns' History.
- Bickley Blast - Tuesday April 15Dan goes off on the Suns missing the playoffs.
- Jeff Hornacek, Suns head coach - Tuesday April 15Why were the Suns able to surpass early season expectations?
- The DISH - April 14, 2014 - Monday April 14Jon Bloom gives us the Day In Suns History.