Updated Jan 22, 2013 - 4:01 pm
Gentry: Player development shouldn't have been the issue
Phoenix's professional basketball club has a .317 winning percentage at the season's midpoint, which left the team in last place in the Western Conference.
"When you're 13-28 and having trouble winning at home something's got to happen," Gentry told Arizona Sports 620's Burns and Gambo Tuesday. "I've been in this business long enough to know that it's usually a change in coaching."
Earlier in January it was reported that the Suns were prepared to start playing more of their younger players. The coach says that shouldn't have had anything to do with he and the team parting ways, since Gentry said he felt qualified to lead the young guys on the team even though the front office apparently felt otherwise.
"As a staff that's what we did try to do, we tried to incorporate some of the young guys," he said. "As a coach you still want to try to win games because that pretty much what were judged by, wins and losses."
The Suns currently have six players on their roster with two years or less worth of experience in the NBA.
Hunter, who steps into Gentry's role, previously served as player development coordinator for the team and has zero experience as a head coach anywhere.
When asked how he felt about the coaching change, Gentry gave the impression he wasn't exactly on board with the idea.
"Decisions are made that you don't agree with," he said. "They have the right to do that."
Gentry said he will use this new-found time off to visit his daughter, visit other teams around the league and visit his friend Larry Brown at Southern Methodist University because, quite simply, he can't stand to just sit around.
"I'm going to focus on my next endeavor and the next place that I can possibly be."
- Ryan McDonough, Suns General Manager - Wednesday December 4Ryan McDonough discusses the Suns' recent losses.
- The DISH - December 3, 2013 - Tuesday December 3Jon Bloom brings us this day in Suns' history.
- Jeff Hornacek, Suns Head Coach - Tuesday December 3Coach says the Suns know who they are, so who are they?
- The DISH - November 29, 2013 - Friday November 29Jon Bloom gives us the day in Suns' history.
- The DISH - November 27, 2013 - Wednesday November 27Jon Bloom gives us the day in Suns' history.