Updated Jan 22, 2013 - 4:24 pm
Lindsey Hunter's task a challenging one with Suns
"He's all about defense first," PJ Tucker said.
"That's what I want," Hunter said of trying to create the identity of a defensive-minded team. "That's what we're going to work towards being. I know that's kind of different than any culture that's been here in the past but things change all the time."
Changing the Suns' fortune of a team headed towards the NBA Draft Lottery is unlikely, especially given the upcoming schedule. In the next 12 games before the All-Star break, the Suns will play teams currently sitting in the top 8 of the Western Conference six times.
"Pretty brutal, right? But it is what it is," said Hunter. "Hopefully it will bring us together more."
The schedule aside, Hunter's biggest challenge will be instilling that wanted defensive mentality in his players.
Does he, however, have a roster capable of such an identity?
"I think establishing an identity doesn't have anything to with superstars or things like that," Hunter said. "It has to do with culture, the type of character that you bring in and the type of leaders that you have."
At 13-28, the Suns are one of the poorer defensive teams in the league. Amongst the 30 teams, the Suns rank 29th in opponent field goal percentage (46.7), 30th in opponent 3-point shooting percentage (38.9) and 23rd in points allowed (99.7).
"Not going to try to build Rome in a day," Hunter said. "We're going to take it one step at a time."
There's been a noticeable difference already after three straight days of practice, according to forward Jared Dudley.
"He says we're playing too soft in the sense of we're not touching (defenders) on pick-and-rolls, not being aggressive enough. They're getting too much of a separation."
"More than anything, just effort," added Tucker. "Everybody going out giving 100 percent, leaving it out on the court and giving ourselves a chance to win. I think lately you know we've been in games and we've taken games away from ourselves, so just having that mindset of that killer mentality of going out finishing games."
Craig Grialou, Reporter
- An open letter to Eric Bledsoe
- Suns relationship with Bledsoe described as headed towards ruined
- The Pulse: Fans say Suns need to negotiate smaller contract with Eric Bledsoe
- Report: Phoenix Suns' P.J. Tucker arrested in Scottsdale in May for extreme DUI
- ESPN Insider: Goran Dragic is a max-contract candidate after next season
- Chris Sheridan - Tuesday July 22Chris Sheridan weighs in on if Kevin Love will join LeBron in Cleveland.
- Ryan McDonough, Phoenix Suns general manager - Monday July 21General manager Ryan McDonough talks about the Phoenix Suns' offseason plans.
- Isaiah Thomas, Phoenix Suns point guard - Monday July 21Isaiah Thomas talks about his skill set and what he brings to the franchise.
- Marc Spears, Yahoo NBA writer - Friday July 18Yahoo NBA writer Marc Spears says the Warriors are backing out from a Kevin Love trade.
- Paul Coro, AZCentral Sports Suns beat writer - Thursday July 17AZCentral Sports Suns beat writer Paul Coro talks about the continuing free agency of Eric Bledsoe.