Updated Jan 23, 2013 - 11:04 am
Forbes: Phoenix Suns are NBA's 13th-most valuable team
According to Forbes, the Suns are the 13th-most valuable franchise in the league. The New York Knicks, Los Angeles Lakers and Chicago Bulls make up the top three, while the Atlanta Hawks, Charlotte Bobcats and Milwaukee Bucks are at the bottom.
The Suns are valued at $474 million, and the rest of the organization's breakdown is below.
Owner: Robert Sarver
Price Paid: $404 M
Year Purchased: 2004
Revenue: $121 M
Operating Income: $13.0 M
Player Expenses: $60 M
Gate Receipts: $28 M
Wins-to-player cost ratio: 86
Revenue per Fan: $18
Metro Area Population: 4.4 M
Forbes notes how the Suns have cut ticket prices in recent years, but that it really has not helped at the box office. Attendance at US Airways Center has dropped in each of the last three seasons.
Fans are tuning out at home as well with local TV ratings off a league-worst 37% on FS Arizona.
This season the Suns are 25th in the NBA in attendance, averaging 14,769 fans in 21 home games. With a 13-28 record and a season seemingly spinning out of control, it's worth wondering if things are about to get worse for the Valley's original professional sports team.
Adam Green, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- After grueling stretch, Phoenix Suns hope to make up ground in March
- Phoenix Suns' P.J. Tucker suspended by the NBA
- What do you want to be, Eric Bledsoe?
- Coach Jeff Hornacek: Suns 'need to get out of their comfort zone' after recent losses
- Griffin, Clippers top Suns in testy divisional affair: By the Numbers
- Dave Pasch, voice of the Arizona Cardinals - Wednesday March 12Dave Pasch explains what it is like to work with Bill Walton.
- The DISH - March 12, 2013 - Wednesday March 12Jon Bloom gives us the Day In Suns' History.
- Ryan McDonough, Suns general manager - Tuesday March 11Suns general manager Ryan McDonough discusses the return of Eric Bledsoe.
- Jeff Hornacek, Phoenix Suns Head Coach - Tuesday March 11Do the Suns lack toughness?
- It's Paul's Call with Paul Calvisi! - Monday March 10A fishy election in North Korea