Updated Jan 23, 2013 - 11:04 am
Forbes: Phoenix Suns are NBA's 13th-most valuable team
According to Forbes, the Suns are the 13th-most valuable franchise in the league. The New York Knicks, Los Angeles Lakers and Chicago Bulls make up the top three, while the Atlanta Hawks, Charlotte Bobcats and Milwaukee Bucks are at the bottom.
The Suns are valued at $474 million, and the rest of the organization's breakdown is below.
Owner: Robert Sarver
Price Paid: $404 M
Year Purchased: 2004
Revenue: $121 M
Operating Income: $13.0 M
Player Expenses: $60 M
Gate Receipts: $28 M
Wins-to-player cost ratio: 86
Revenue per Fan: $18
Metro Area Population: 4.4 M
Forbes notes how the Suns have cut ticket prices in recent years, but that it really has not helped at the box office. Attendance at US Airways Center has dropped in each of the last three seasons.
Fans are tuning out at home as well with local TV ratings off a league-worst 37% on FS Arizona.
This season the Suns are 25th in the NBA in attendance, averaging 14,769 fans in 21 home games. With a 13-28 record and a season seemingly spinning out of control, it's worth wondering if things are about to get worse for the Valley's original professional sports team.
Adam Green, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- Phoenix Suns' Eric Bledsoe: 'I'm ready to go'
- Suns' Dragic credits new team mindset for success
- Former D-League coach praises work ethic of Suns' Gerald Green
- Suns center Alex Len keeping close tabs on Ukraine, honors country with special message
- Suns Strokes: Green engineers second-half comeback in thrilling win over Thunder
- Goran Dragic, Suns Guard - Friday March 7Suns guard Goran Dragic joins the Burns and Gambo show
- Bill Frieder, former Arizona State basketball head coach - Friday March 7Bill Frieder discusses the state of ASU basketball, and what should the NBA do about the draft age t
- Bickley Blast - Friday March 7The Suns got a signature win, and seem determined to make the playoffs.
- Eric Musselman, ASU basketball associate head coac - Friday March 7Eric Musselman talks about his relationship with Gerald Green, his thoughts on Jahii Carson's seaso
- Tim Kempton, Suns Color Analyst - Friday March 7Will LeBron return to Cleveland?