Updated Jan 23, 2013 - 11:04 am
Forbes: Phoenix Suns are NBA's 13th-most valuable team
According to Forbes, the Suns are the 13th-most valuable franchise in the league. The New York Knicks, Los Angeles Lakers and Chicago Bulls make up the top three, while the Atlanta Hawks, Charlotte Bobcats and Milwaukee Bucks are at the bottom.
The Suns are valued at $474 million, and the rest of the organization's breakdown is below.
Owner: Robert Sarver
Price Paid: $404 M
Year Purchased: 2004
Revenue: $121 M
Operating Income: $13.0 M
Player Expenses: $60 M
Gate Receipts: $28 M
Wins-to-player cost ratio: 86
Revenue per Fan: $18
Metro Area Population: 4.4 M
Forbes notes how the Suns have cut ticket prices in recent years, but that it really has not helped at the box office. Attendance at US Airways Center has dropped in each of the last three seasons.
Fans are tuning out at home as well with local TV ratings off a league-worst 37% on FS Arizona.
This season the Suns are 25th in the NBA in attendance, averaging 14,769 fans in 21 home games. With a 13-28 record and a season seemingly spinning out of control, it's worth wondering if things are about to get worse for the Valley's original professional sports team.
Adam Green, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- An open letter to Eric Bledsoe
- Suns relationship with Bledsoe described as headed towards ruined
- The Pulse: Fans say Suns need to negotiate smaller contract with Eric Bledsoe
- Report: Phoenix Suns' P.J. Tucker arrested in Scottsdale in May for extreme DUI
- ESPN Insider: Goran Dragic is a max-contract candidate after next season
- Chris Sheridan - Tuesday July 22Chris Sheridan weighs in on if Kevin Love will join LeBron in Cleveland.
- Ryan McDonough, Phoenix Suns general manager - Monday July 21General manager Ryan McDonough talks about the Phoenix Suns' offseason plans.
- Isaiah Thomas, Phoenix Suns point guard - Monday July 21Isaiah Thomas talks about his skill set and what he brings to the franchise.
- Marc Spears, Yahoo NBA writer - Friday July 18Yahoo NBA writer Marc Spears says the Warriors are backing out from a Kevin Love trade.
- Paul Coro, AZCentral Sports Suns beat writer - Thursday July 17AZCentral Sports Suns beat writer Paul Coro talks about the continuing free agency of Eric Bledsoe.