Updated Jan 23, 2013 - 2:57 pm
Suns' Lindsey Hunter denies undermining Alvin Gentry
More specifically, the point that Hunter would bark out instructions during games even though he wasn't on the official coaching staff.
Hunter, who makes his NBA coaching debut Wednesday night in Sacramento against the Kings, joined Arizona Sports 620's Burns and Gambo to discuss those allegations.
"That's absolutely false," he said. "I was hired here as a player development coach, and that's what I did. I worked closely with the players and I worked strictly on skill work, so I don't know what skill work wouldn't be effective in a basketball game.
"If I'm working with a guy's shooting, and he's shooting his shot flat and looks at me and says 'what am I doing wrong' and I say 'get the shot up', that's instructional. That has nothing to do with anything but helping him as a player."
Hunter also addressed his coaching staff, which will not include former assistant Dan Majerle, who parted ways with the team earlier this week. Elston Turner's status is still up in the air.
"When I got the information that I was hired, I went to both of those guys and expressed myself to them and understood either way how they felt," he said. "I could live with them either staying or going elsewhere."
Vince Marotta, Co-host Dan Bickley Show with Vince Marotta, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- Phoenix Suns' Goran Dragic named NBA's Most Improved Player
- Kentucky freshman Julius Randle to enter NBA draft
- Jeff Hornacek: We got it back to Phoenix Suns basketball
- Suns' Jeff Hornacek finishes behind Spurs' Gregg Popovich in Coach of the Year voting
- Phoenix Suns' vocal, emotional leader P.J. Tucker wants to return
- Tim Kempton, Suns analyst - Wednesday April 23Tim Kempton defends his vote for Defensive Player of the Year.
- Tim Kempton, Suns analyst - Tuesday April 22Suns radio analyst Tim Kempton calls in to react to the blast.
- Bickley Blast - Tuesday April 22Bickley blasts on postseason awards and how making it in the playoffs makes a huge difference
- Eddie Johnson, Suns analyst - Monday April 21Suns analyst Eddie Johnson talks about the NBA playoffs.
- Robert Sarver, Suns owner - Friday April 18Robert Sarver talks about possible offseason plans.