Updated Jan 23, 2013 - 5:44 pm
Suns GM Blanks stands by decision to make Lindsey Hunter the coach
The team parted with Gentry on January 18 and named Hunter the interim coach on January 20, with neither move being popular among most people.
However, Blanks is confident he made the right decision.
"We sat down anywhere from 45 minutes to an hour or so with each candidate and talked about a myriad of things," Blanks told Arizona Sports 620's Doug and Wolf Wednesday. "Their personal philosophy, what they thought they could do to help lead us in the next phase and through the next 41 games."
Blanks said he was challenged to do what was best for the organization "regardless of external influences or what I thought people might like," and under those directions he was left to determine who would be the best man to lead the Suns going forward.
"When everything fell out it was clear to me that Lindsey should be the next coach," he said.
So that was the choice, and since it's been made the Suns have been criticized nearly universally. However, Blanks said the move has been well-received by the players.
"Over the past four days you've just seen a pop from guys in terms of the way they've responded, the way they've acted," Blanks said.
Blanks added that one player -- and he wouldn't say who -- came off the court after the team's second practice under Hunter and told he and president of basketball operations Lon Babby "this guy is going to be a very, very good coach."
Blanks went on to say that no matter what people think of the decision to make Hunter the coach, he stands by the call.
"When you take out all of the noise, if you will, and you just focus on the job, which is what Lon really challenged me to do," he said, "I have no problem putting my stamp or putting my signature on the decision to have Lindsey lead us over the next 41 games."
Adam Green, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- The Pulse: Suns fans feel offseason has been 'incomplete'
- Phoenix Suns' Miles Plumlee named to 2014 USA Men's Select Team
- Phoenix Suns dig deep for shooting with Anthony Tolliver
- New Phoenix Sun Isaiah Thomas: 'I just felt wanted'
- Phoenix Suns GM Ryan McDonough: Isaiah Thomas helps achieve goal of building depth
- Chris Sheridan - Tuesday July 22Chris Sheridan weighs in on if Kevin Love will join LeBron in Cleveland.
- Ryan McDonough, Phoenix Suns general manager - Monday July 21General manager Ryan McDonough talks about the Phoenix Suns' offseason plans.
- Isaiah Thomas, Phoenix Suns point guard - Monday July 21Isaiah Thomas talks about his skill set and what he brings to the franchise.
- Marc Spears, Yahoo NBA writer - Friday July 18Yahoo NBA writer Marc Spears says the Warriors are backing out from a Kevin Love trade.
- Paul Coro, AZCentral Sports Suns beat writer - Thursday July 17AZCentral Sports Suns beat writer Paul Coro talks about the continuing free agency of Eric Bledsoe.