Suns Strokes: Suns win first game under interim coach Lindsey Hunter
Sure, you could read the box score and know who won, but we all know that won't tell you everything that happened in a basketball game. So, we will give you Suns Strokes, providing you with the analysis, quotes and notes from the Suns' 106-96 win over the Kings on January 23.
The Suns have been embroiled in controversy since team officials replaced head coach Alvin Gentry with the inexperienced Lindsey Hunter. But on Wednesday night, the players answered the call, helping their interim coach notch his first career win in a strong display of professionalism and unity.
Luis Scola led the charge offensively for the Suns, notching 21 points and seven rebounds. Michael Beasley added 19 for Phoenix, 13 of which came in the game's final quarter.
The Suns were impressive overall in the fourth, using a 15-1 run to help seal the victory.
P.J. Tucker was held to just four points in 22:38 minutes of play and Jared Dudley also struggled offensively, netting just eight points on the night.
The Suns shot just 32% from three-point range.
He Said It:
"It was real exciting. I'm more excited for the guys than anything else since they worked so hard for me the last few days," Suns' head coach Lindsey Hunter said. "This is a long, long journey and this is just the beginning for all of us."
• The Suns have now won two straight game on the road despite holding a 4-17 record away from US Airways Center this season.
• Jermaine O'Neal did not travel with the team due to a medical ailment.
• The Kings had a season-high 24 turnovers.
• Lindsey Hunter did not make any changes to the Suns' starting lineup in his first game as head coach.
The Suns will host the Los Angeles Clippers Thursday night at 8:30 p.m. MST.
Daria Del Colliano, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- Phoenix Suns don't have a point guard in top ten of WARP projections
- Phoenix Suns 2014 preseason schedule released
- The Pulse: Most say Eric Bledsoe and agent Rich Paul are at fault for contract standoff with Phoenix Suns
- Phoenix Suns single-game tickets now on sale
- New Phoenix Suns guard Isaiah Thomas undergoes wrist surgery
- Chris Sheridan- sheridanhoops.com - Tuesday August 19Chris Sheridan believes there is one team that could easily make a max contract offer to Eric Bledso
- Who impressed/who depressed - Monday August 18Dan and Vince look back at who impressed and depressed them over the weekend.
- Adrian Wojnarowski- YahooSports NBA writer - Tuesday August 12Adrian Wojnarowski says Eric Bledsoe has backed himself into a corner.
- Bickley Blast - Tuesday August 12Now that Donald Sterling is gone, who is the worst owner in sports?
- Jerry Colangelo, Managing Director of USA Basketball - Friday August 8Jerry Colangelo talks about the Paul George injury and Kevin Durant's departure from Team USA.