Updated Jan 25, 2013 - 9:20 am
Suns' Jermaine O'Neal out with irregular heartbeat
Earlier this week, news spread of a heated argument between O'Neal and Suns general manager Lance Blanks. O'Neal took to Twitter to refute some of what had been reported, then disclosed that he was dealing with a medical issue.
O'Neal didn't play in Thursday's 93-88 win over the Los Angeles Clippers either, but did take time after the game to update his health status.
"The health issue was an irregular heartbeat," he said. "It was scary. At 34 years old and you're having issues with your heart not beating the way it's supposed to beat and causing shortness of breath and dizziness -- it's not about basketball.
"I have two kids, I have a wife, I have a family I take care of and that was a concern."
The Suns, unfortunately, aren't unfamiliar with heart issues affecting players on their roster. Channing Frye has missed the entire season after he was diagnosed with an enlarged heart before the beginning of training camp.
"The last few days, they ran significant tests to figure out why the irregular heartbeat was happening," O'Neal said. "So they put me on some medication. This is a three or four-day process to figure out if that helps -- I'm not sure if that's going to help."
The Suns hit the road for the next two games against San Antonio Saturday and Dallas Sunday. O'Neal says he's planning to travel with the team, but his playing status for the near future is still very much up in the air.
O'Neal is averaging 6.4 points and 4.1 rebounds in 32 games this season, his first with the Suns.
Vince Marotta, Co-host - Bickley & Marotta, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- Phoenix Suns dig deep for shooting with Anthony Tolliver
- New Phoenix Sun Isaiah Thomas: 'I just felt wanted'
- Phoenix Suns GM Ryan McDonough: Isaiah Thomas helps achieve goal of building depth
- Phoenix Suns GM on Eric Bledsoe: 'I think he will be back at the end of the day'
- Phoenix Suns go all in on two point-guard lineups
- Ryan McDonough, Phoenix Suns general manager - Monday July 21General manager Ryan McDonough talks about the Phoenix Suns' offseason plans.
- Isaiah Thomas, Phoenix Suns point guard - Monday July 21Isaiah Thomas talks about his skill set and what he brings to the franchise.
- Marc Spears, Yahoo NBA writer - Friday July 18Yahoo NBA writer Marc Spears says the Warriors are backing out from a Kevin Love trade.
- Paul Coro, AZCentral Sports Suns beat writer - Thursday July 17AZCentral Sports Suns beat writer Paul Coro talks about the continuing free agency of Eric Bledsoe.
- Chris Broussard, ESPN NBA insider - Thursday July 17ESPN NBA insider Chris Broussard gives his take on Eric Bledsoe’s contract situation with the Phoeni