Updated Jan 25, 2013 - 1:59 pm
Suns coach Lindsey Hunter in good company at 2-0
Out of the Suns 15 previous head coaches, only three have started 2-0 or better.
Back in the 1969-1970 season, head coach Johnny "Red" Kerr was replaced by former Suns' owner Jerry Colangelo after a 15-23 start. Colangelo finished the season with a 24-20 record, grabbing a bottom playoff spot before losing to the Los Angeles Lakers in the first round.
It wasn't until 20 years later that another head coach would start off with a pair of wins, as Scott Skiles started 4-0 after replacing the retired Danny Ainge 20 games into the season. Skiles would lead Jason Kidd and the Suns to a 53-29 record and a short playoff run. Skiles remained the head coach for another season and a half before being let go with a 116-79 record.
Ten years later, Alvin Gentry would start 3-0 as the interim coach following Terry Porter. While he couldn't lead the Suns to the playoffs to finish the season like Skiles did, he did finish 18-13 before leading the team to the Western Conference Finals the following year. Gentry remained with the Suns for parts of four more seasons, bearing a 158-144 record during his tenure.
Hunter may not have been the fans' choice, but starting 2-0 -- as miniscule as that may seem -- puts him into a small group with a winning track record.
- After grueling stretch, Phoenix Suns hope to make up ground in March
- Phoenix Suns' P.J. Tucker suspended by the NBA
- What do you want to be, Eric Bledsoe?
- Coach Jeff Hornacek: Suns 'need to get out of their comfort zone' after recent losses
- Griffin, Clippers top Suns in testy divisional affair: By the Numbers
- Ryan McDonough, Suns general manager - Tuesday March 11Suns general manager Ryan McDonough discusses the return of Eric Bledsoe.
- Jeff Hornacek, Phoenix Suns Head Coach - Tuesday March 11Do the Suns lack toughness?
- It's Paul's Call with Paul Calvisi! - Monday March 10A fishy election in North Korea
- Goran Dragic, Suns Guard - Friday March 7Suns guard Goran Dragic joins the Burns and Gambo show
- Bill Frieder, former Arizona State basketball head coach - Friday March 7Bill Frieder discusses the state of ASU basketball, and what should the NBA do about the draft age t