Updated Jan 25, 2013 - 1:59 pm
Suns coach Lindsey Hunter in good company at 2-0
Out of the Suns 15 previous head coaches, only three have started 2-0 or better.
Back in the 1969-1970 season, head coach Johnny "Red" Kerr was replaced by former Suns' owner Jerry Colangelo after a 15-23 start. Colangelo finished the season with a 24-20 record, grabbing a bottom playoff spot before losing to the Los Angeles Lakers in the first round.
It wasn't until 20 years later that another head coach would start off with a pair of wins, as Scott Skiles started 4-0 after replacing the retired Danny Ainge 20 games into the season. Skiles would lead Jason Kidd and the Suns to a 53-29 record and a short playoff run. Skiles remained the head coach for another season and a half before being let go with a 116-79 record.
Ten years later, Alvin Gentry would start 3-0 as the interim coach following Terry Porter. While he couldn't lead the Suns to the playoffs to finish the season like Skiles did, he did finish 18-13 before leading the team to the Western Conference Finals the following year. Gentry remained with the Suns for parts of four more seasons, bearing a 158-144 record during his tenure.
Hunter may not have been the fans' choice, but starting 2-0 -- as miniscule as that may seem -- puts him into a small group with a winning track record.
- Phoenix Suns' Goran Dragic named NBA's Most Improved Player
- Kentucky freshman Julius Randle to enter NBA draft
- Jeff Hornacek: We got it back to Phoenix Suns basketball
- Suns' Jeff Hornacek finishes behind Spurs' Gregg Popovich in Coach of the Year voting
- Phoenix Suns' vocal, emotional leader P.J. Tucker wants to return
- Goran Dragic, Suns guard - Wednesday April 23Suns guard Goran Dragic talks about winning the Most Improved Player of the Year Award.
- Tim Kempton, Suns analyst - Wednesday April 23Tim Kempton defends his vote for Defensive Player of the Year.
- Tim Kempton, Suns analyst - Tuesday April 22Suns radio analyst Tim Kempton calls in to react to the blast.
- Bickley Blast - Tuesday April 22Bickley blasts on postseason awards and how making it in the playoffs makes a huge difference
- Eddie Johnson, Suns analyst - Monday April 21Suns analyst Eddie Johnson talks about the NBA playoffs.