Updated Jan 31, 2013 - 7:30 am
Suns Strokes: Michael Beasley overshadows Nash's return
Sure, you could read the box score and know who won, but we all know that won't tell you everything that happened in a basketball game. So, we will give you Suns Strokes, providing you with the analysis, quotes and notes from the Suns' 92-86 win over the Los Angeles Lakers on January 30.
Michael Beasley scored 10 of his game-high 27 points in the fourth quarter, helping the Suns overcome a 13-point deficit. The Suns outscored the Lakers 29-13 in the final quarter, their largest margin (+16) in a fourth period this season. Phoenix held the Lakers to 4-of-19 (.190) shooting, while shooting 11-of-16 (.688) themselves in the final 12 minutes of the game.
The Suns were outscored 51-37, shooting 16-of-44 (.364) combined in the second and third quarters.
He Said It:
"We came together," said Beasley, who with 27 points established a new season-high. "That has really been our problem this whole season, the end of the third and fourth quarter. We just told each other we do not want to lose, especially in front of a crowd like that and on national TV. It just was not an option for us. We went out there and executed where we needed to execute."
• In five games since the coaching change, Michael Beasley has averaged 18.2 points, 5.4 rebounds and 24.4 minutes per game.
• Michael Phelps, the most decorated Olympian of all-time with a total of 22 medals (18 gold), sat courtside at US Airways Center.
• Two-time MVP Steve Nash made his return to the Valley. In a losing effort, the former Suns point guard had 11 points and four rebounds.
• Jermaine O'Neal (irregular heartbeat) missed his fifth straight game.
The Suns (16-30) continue their brief two-game homestand when they host the Dallas Mavericks on Friday at 7:00 p.m. MST.
Craig Grialou, Reporter
- Phoenix Suns' Eric Bledsoe: 'I'm ready to go'
- Suns' Dragic credits new team mindset for success
- Former D-League coach praises work ethic of Suns' Gerald Green
- Suns center Alex Len keeping close tabs on Ukraine, honors country with special message
- Suns Strokes: Green engineers second-half comeback in thrilling win over Thunder
- Goran Dragic, Suns Guard - Friday March 7Suns guard Goran Dragic joins the Burns and Gambo show
- Bill Frieder, former Arizona State basketball head coach - Friday March 7Bill Frieder discusses the state of ASU basketball, and what should the NBA do about the draft age t
- Bickley Blast - Friday March 7The Suns got a signature win, and seem determined to make the playoffs.
- Eric Musselman, ASU basketball associate head coac - Friday March 7Eric Musselman talks about his relationship with Gerald Green, his thoughts on Jahii Carson's seaso
- Tim Kempton, Suns Color Analyst - Friday March 7Will LeBron return to Cleveland?