Updated Feb 4, 2013 - 12:14 pm
Suns' Jermaine O'Neal set to return to court
"I felt pretty good, conditioning-wise," O'Neal said following Monday's practice at US Airways Center. "Obviously I'm not where I want to be, but a lot better than I thought I would be. I felt strong."
O'Neal hasn't played since the Suns' loss at home to Milwaukee on January 17 -- which also happened to be Alvin Gentry's last game as head coach. But the 34-year-old center will be back in uniform Tuesday night when the Suns visit the Memphis Grizzlies.
The Suns limp into the game with a 16-32 record on the season -- the second-worst mark in the Western Conference. In O'Neal's absence the team posted a 3-4 mark, and he's looking forward to helping the improvement the Suns have shown since Lindsey Hunter took over the head coaching reins.
"We've got to play it out and in the process of playing it out, we've got to show our fan base that we're committed to being better," he said.
Tuesday's game against the Grizzlies opens a tough three-game road trip for Phoenix, who has been dreadful away from home this season, posting a 4-20 record. Only the Washington Wizards (3-21) have been worse on the road this season.
"Obviously you have to win your games at home, but the teams with winning records on the road are the teams that are playing in May and June for the ultimate goal," O'Neal said.
Vince Marotta, Co-host Dan Bickley Show with Vince Marotta, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- Suns' Dragic credits new team mindset to success
- Former D-League coach praises work ethic of Suns' Gerald Green
- Suns center Alex Len keeping close tabs on Ukraine, honors country with special message
- Suns Strokes: Green engineers second-half comeback in thrilling win over Thunder
- Green, Suns storm past Thunder in statement victory: By the Numbers
- Goran Dragic, Suns Guard - Friday March 7Suns guard Goran Dragic joins the Burns and Gambo show
- Bill Frieder, former Arizona State basketball head coach - Friday March 7Bill Frieder discusses the state of ASU basketball, and what should the NBA do about the draft age t
- Bickley Blast - Friday March 7The Suns got a signature win, and seem determined to make the playoffs.
- Eric Musselman, ASU basketball associate head coac - Friday March 7Eric Musselman talks about his relationship with Gerald Green, his thoughts on Jahii Carson's seaso
- Tim Kempton, Suns Color Analyst - Friday March 7Will LeBron return to Cleveland?