Updated Feb 4, 2013 - 12:14 pm
Suns' Jermaine O'Neal set to return to court
"I felt pretty good, conditioning-wise," O'Neal said following Monday's practice at US Airways Center. "Obviously I'm not where I want to be, but a lot better than I thought I would be. I felt strong."
O'Neal hasn't played since the Suns' loss at home to Milwaukee on January 17 -- which also happened to be Alvin Gentry's last game as head coach. But the 34-year-old center will be back in uniform Tuesday night when the Suns visit the Memphis Grizzlies.
The Suns limp into the game with a 16-32 record on the season -- the second-worst mark in the Western Conference. In O'Neal's absence the team posted a 3-4 mark, and he's looking forward to helping the improvement the Suns have shown since Lindsey Hunter took over the head coaching reins.
"We've got to play it out and in the process of playing it out, we've got to show our fan base that we're committed to being better," he said.
Tuesday's game against the Grizzlies opens a tough three-game road trip for Phoenix, who has been dreadful away from home this season, posting a 4-20 record. Only the Washington Wizards (3-21) have been worse on the road this season.
"Obviously you have to win your games at home, but the teams with winning records on the road are the teams that are playing in May and June for the ultimate goal," O'Neal said.
Vince Marotta, Co-host Dan Bickley Show with Vince Marotta, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- After grueling stretch, Phoenix Suns hope to make up ground in March
- Phoenix Suns' P.J. Tucker suspended by the NBA
- What do you want to be, Eric Bledsoe?
- Coach Jeff Hornacek: Suns 'need to get out of their comfort zone' after recent losses
- Griffin, Clippers top Suns in testy divisional affair: By the Numbers
- Ryan McDonough, Suns general manager - Tuesday March 11Suns general manager Ryan McDonough discusses the return of Eric Bledsoe.
- Jeff Hornacek, Phoenix Suns Head Coach - Tuesday March 11Do the Suns lack toughness?
- It's Paul's Call with Paul Calvisi! - Monday March 10A fishy election in North Korea
- Goran Dragic, Suns Guard - Friday March 7Suns guard Goran Dragic joins the Burns and Gambo show
- Bill Frieder, former Arizona State basketball head coach - Friday March 7Bill Frieder discusses the state of ASU basketball, and what should the NBA do about the draft age t