Updated Feb 4, 2013 - 12:14 pm
Suns' Jermaine O'Neal set to return to court
"I felt pretty good, conditioning-wise," O'Neal said following Monday's practice at US Airways Center. "Obviously I'm not where I want to be, but a lot better than I thought I would be. I felt strong."
O'Neal hasn't played since the Suns' loss at home to Milwaukee on January 17 -- which also happened to be Alvin Gentry's last game as head coach. But the 34-year-old center will be back in uniform Tuesday night when the Suns visit the Memphis Grizzlies.
The Suns limp into the game with a 16-32 record on the season -- the second-worst mark in the Western Conference. In O'Neal's absence the team posted a 3-4 mark, and he's looking forward to helping the improvement the Suns have shown since Lindsey Hunter took over the head coaching reins.
"We've got to play it out and in the process of playing it out, we've got to show our fan base that we're committed to being better," he said.
Tuesday's game against the Grizzlies opens a tough three-game road trip for Phoenix, who has been dreadful away from home this season, posting a 4-20 record. Only the Washington Wizards (3-21) have been worse on the road this season.
"Obviously you have to win your games at home, but the teams with winning records on the road are the teams that are playing in May and June for the ultimate goal," O'Neal said.
Vince Marotta, Co-host Dan Bickley Show with Vince Marotta, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- Reserves lead Suns to season-ending win over Kings: By The Numbers
- Suns general manager Ryan McDonough: 'We'd like to have' Channing Frye back next season
- Phoenix Suns GM: It would be a waste of time for another team to pursue Eric Bledsoe
- If you dislike Robert Sarver, don't read this!
- Robert Sarver reflects on his 10 years at the helm of the Phoenix Suns
- Ryan McDonough, Suns general manager - Wednesday April 16Suns general manager Ryan McDonough discusses the team missing the playoffs.
- The DISH - April 16, 2014 - Wednesday April 16Jon Bloom gives us The Day in Suns' History.
- Bickley Blast - Tuesday April 15Dan goes off on the Suns missing the playoffs.
- Jeff Hornacek, Suns head coach - Tuesday April 15Why were the Suns able to surpass early season expectations?
- The DISH - April 14, 2014 - Monday April 14Jon Bloom gives us the Day In Suns History.