Suns' Lindsey Hunter pleased with growth on defense
Interim head coach Lindsey Hunter talked about establishing a defensive mentality for the team when he took over for Alvin Gentry last month, and Tuesday night, it looked like the Suns had done just that.
Phoenix clamped down on the Memphis Grizzlies, especially in the second half, during a 96-90 win at FedEx Forum Tuesday night. The Suns held Memphis to just 44% shooting from the field and limited them to 38 points after halftime in only their fifth road win of the season.
"It's just more of what we're trying to do and become, it's solidifying our in-the-paint defense stopping guys from getting layups and challenging jump shots," Hunter told Burns and Gambo on Arizona Sports 620 Wednesday. "It's going to take us some time to get there, but when we practice I think we can reinforce a lot of things we're trying to incorporate.
"We solidified a lot of it -- not to the point where it's instinctive but I think awareness is the beginning of instinctively doing things and we've created the awareness that this is how we're going to play and this how we want to play. Defensively, we were much more aware (Tuesday) night than we were."
The Suns will try to continue their defensive improvement on the road Wednesday night against the New Orleans Hornets.
Vince Marotta, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- Jared Dudley, Suns forward - Tuesday May 21Dudley talks NBA Playoffs and Suns coaching search with Doug & Wolf
- Alvin Gentry, former Suns head coach - Tuesday May 14Gentry talks to Doug & Wolf about the NBA Playoffs, the Suns coaching search and his future
- Denise McDonough, Ryan McDonough's mom - Friday May 10Mrs. McDonough talks to Doug & Wolf about raising the new Suns GM
- Melinda Dudley, Jared Dudley's mom - Friday May 10Mrs. Dudley tells Doug & Wolf what it was like raising the Suns fan favorite
- Tom Chambers, Suns legend - Friday May 10Chambers tells Doug & Wolf who he'd like to see hired as the new head coach of the Suns