Updated Feb 6, 2013 - 5:25 pm
Suns' Lindsey Hunter pleased with growth on defense
Interim head coach Lindsey Hunter talked about establishing a defensive mentality for the team when he took over for Alvin Gentry last month, and Tuesday night, it looked like the Suns had done just that.
Phoenix clamped down on the Memphis Grizzlies, especially in the second half, during a 96-90 win at FedEx Forum Tuesday night. The Suns held Memphis to just 44% shooting from the field and limited them to 38 points after halftime in only their fifth road win of the season.
"It's just more of what we're trying to do and become, it's solidifying our in-the-paint defense stopping guys from getting layups and challenging jump shots," Hunter told Burns and Gambo on Arizona Sports 620 Wednesday. "It's going to take us some time to get there, but when we practice I think we can reinforce a lot of things we're trying to incorporate.
"We solidified a lot of it -- not to the point where it's instinctive but I think awareness is the beginning of instinctively doing things and we've created the awareness that this is how we're going to play and this how we want to play. Defensively, we were much more aware (Tuesday) night than we were."
The Suns will try to continue their defensive improvement on the road Wednesday night against the New Orleans Hornets.
Vince Marotta, Co-host - Bickley & Marotta, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- Phoenix Suns' Channing Frye finishes third in NBA Sportsmanship Award voting
- Suns' Hornacek on Len, Goodwin: 'We couldn't just throw them out there and hope for the best'
- The Pulse: NBA Playoffs will have your attention over summer
- Suns guard Goran Dragic: 'Consistency' was vital in winning Most Improved Player award
- Phoenix Suns' Goran Dragic: 'I'm going to try to get better every year'
- Goran Dragic, Suns guard - Wednesday April 23Suns guard Goran Dragic talks about winning the Most Improved Player of the Year Award.
- Tim Kempton, Suns analyst - Wednesday April 23Tim Kempton defends his vote for Defensive Player of the Year.
- Tim Kempton, Suns analyst - Tuesday April 22Suns radio analyst Tim Kempton calls in to react to the blast.
- Bickley Blast - Tuesday April 22Bickley blasts on postseason awards and how making it in the playoffs makes a huge difference
- Eddie Johnson, Suns analyst - Monday April 21Suns analyst Eddie Johnson talks about the NBA playoffs.