Updated Feb 26, 2013 - 5:31 pm
Jared Dudley: Youth can't be an excuse for Michael Beasley, team
Which means, naturally, he still has much to learn.
"With (Michael) Beasley, if Beasley has it going early you know he's going to play well," Dudley told Arizona Sports 620's Doug and Wolf Tuesday. "I think he has to work on his maturity when he's not shooting the ball well and when he's not scoring.
"It's tough, and right now we don't have a good flow offensively so when he drives there's a lot of people in the paint, and sometimes he might miss a couple of easy shots and he's got to work on just because he misses shots he can still have an effect on the game."
Beasley is averaging just 10.3 points and 4.0 rebounds per game this season, and after showing signs of life in late January has struggled of late, averaging just more than four points in 12 minutes of action over the last four contests.
And as far as Dudley is concerned, Beasley's problems are as much mental as anything else.
Dudley said Beasley cannot let struggles on offense ruin the rest of his game, and while that's something many players learn over time, at some point youth is no longer a viable excuse.
"I still always think of how young he is, but we can't keep using that excuse for all of us," he said, noting his own relative youth. "This is what you are, and if you don't get it done someone else will."
Adam Green, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- Suns' Hornacek on Len, Goodwin: 'We couldn't just throw them out there and hope for the best'
- The Pulse: NBA Playoffs will have your attention over summer
- Suns guard Goran Dragic: 'Consistency' was vital in winning Most Improved Player award
- Phoenix Suns' Goran Dragic: 'I'm going to try to get better every year'
- Phoenix Suns' Goran Dragic named NBA's Most Improved Player
- Goran Dragic, Suns guard - Wednesday April 23Suns guard Goran Dragic talks about winning the Most Improved Player of the Year Award.
- Tim Kempton, Suns analyst - Wednesday April 23Tim Kempton defends his vote for Defensive Player of the Year.
- Tim Kempton, Suns analyst - Tuesday April 22Suns radio analyst Tim Kempton calls in to react to the blast.
- Bickley Blast - Tuesday April 22Bickley blasts on postseason awards and how making it in the playoffs makes a huge difference
- Eddie Johnson, Suns analyst - Monday April 21Suns analyst Eddie Johnson talks about the NBA playoffs.