Updated Mar 7, 2013 - 8:09 am
Suns' Jermaine O'Neal updates daughter's condition
While his teammates struggled on the court, O'Neal was dealing with something much more important.
The 17-year veteran left the team Tuesday to be with his 13-year-old daughter, who underwent open heart surgery in Boston.
O'Neal had good news to report Thursday morning via Twitter.
Thanks to everyone for the prayers and support for my daughter and my family today! She is recovering and doing well. God is truly good!— Jermaine O'Neal (@jermaineoneal) March 7, 2013
Headed to the hotel for a couple hours of sleep now, then back to the hospital. Its been a long day mentally and physically! Goodnight!— Jermaine O'Neal (@jermaineoneal) March 7, 2013
In seven games since the All-Star break, O'Neal was averaging 12.1 points and 9.3 rebounds per contest. The Suns were 4-3 in that stretch.
He's expected to miss at least the next two games, but no specific timetable has been set for his return.
"We'll just play it by ear. Let him handle his family," Suns interim coach Lindsey Hunter said earlier this week.
- Chris Sheridan - Tuesday July 22Chris Sheridan weighs in on if Kevin Love will join LeBron in Cleveland.
- Ryan McDonough, Phoenix Suns general manager - Monday July 21General manager Ryan McDonough talks about the Phoenix Suns' offseason plans.
- Isaiah Thomas, Phoenix Suns point guard - Monday July 21Isaiah Thomas talks about his skill set and what he brings to the franchise.
- Marc Spears, Yahoo NBA writer - Friday July 18Yahoo NBA writer Marc Spears says the Warriors are backing out from a Kevin Love trade.
- Paul Coro, AZCentral Sports Suns beat writer - Thursday July 17AZCentral Sports Suns beat writer Paul Coro talks about the continuing free agency of Eric Bledsoe.