Updated Mar 15, 2013 - 5:27 pm
Report: Dan Majerle will take over for Russ Pennell as GCU head coach
The university announced that head coach Russ Pennell resigned has resigned after four seasons with the program.
"I leave with great respect for Grand Canyon University and thank Brian Mueller for giving me the opportunity to lead the men's basketball program over the past four seasons," Pennell said in the release. "I look forward to the next opportunity that lies ahead."
According to Arizona Sports 620's John Gambadoro, it's who will replace Pennell that'll certainly pique some interest around the Valley.
Russ Pennell will be out as head coach of Grand Canyon University and I'm hearing rumblings that Dan Majerle will be the next head coach.— John Gambadoro (@Gambo620) March 15, 2013
Majerle, who played eight seasons with the Phoenix Suns, served as an assistant coach with the organization from 2008-2013.
The former three-time All-Star resigned from his post in January after the Suns chose not to name him as interim head coach following Alvin Gentry's departure.
In four seasons at GCU, Pennell led the Antelopes to two NCAA tournament appearances and had a 72-44 record. GCU will move up to Division I next season when they join the Western Athletic Conference.
- Robert Sarver, Suns owner - Friday April 18Robert Sarver talks about possible offseason plans.
- Bickley Blast - Friday April 18Does Eric Bledsoe want to spend the prime of his career with the Suns?
- Jon Barry, ESPN NBA insider - Friday April 18Who is the team to beat in the East?
- Channing Frye, Suns forward - Thursday April 17Channing discusses the Suns' completed season, and what he is looking forward to in the offseason.
- Lon Babby, Suns president of basketball operations - Thursday April 17Lon Babby reacts to the Suns' season and talks with the guys about the optimism surrounding the org