Updated Mar 25, 2013 - 10:26 pm
Suns analyst Tim Kempton: 'I'm a little confused on what's going on with the Phoenix Suns'
For example, take the team's last 11 games.
The Suns are 2-9 in that stretch, but their lone wins have come against playoff contenders (Houston Rockets and Los Angeles Lakers). However, in that same span, Lindsey Hunter's squad has looked collectively listless in losses to the likes of the Minnesota Timberwolves, Sacramento Kings, Toronto Raptors and Washington Wizards (twice).
Hunter has insisted that regardless of the final outcome, he intends to give minutes to the players that come out on the floor with energy and focus. But during some of Phoenix's recent losses, including Sunday night's 102-100 defeat to the Brookyln Nets, that mindset has meant a decline in playing time for younger guys like Kendall Marshall, Markieff Morris and Michael Beasley.
Suns radio analyst Tim Kempton said he's perplexed by Hunter's lineup rotations, or lack there of.
"I'm a little confused on what's going on with the Phoenix Suns right now," Kempton told Arizona Sports 620's Doug & Wolf Monday. "Are you trying to develop talent? Are you trying to win games? Or are you trying to let these guys feel how it is like to win? I just don't know what's going on."
After Monday night's action, the Suns (23-48) have the worst record in the Western Conference and the fourth-worst record in the NBA. With 11 games to go, Kempton isn't sure benching guys for poor play is effective if the ultimate goal is to build a deeper team moving forward.
"Okay right now it's not a perfection situation, we all know that, " said Kempton. "We know where we are kind of at. So you know pulling guys and not playing them the rest of the night, I don't know what that accomplishes.
"You're not giving minutes to develop, and in the same regard you're not teaching them anything. If you put them in there for four or five minutes and then you're not going to play them, well they're going to tune you out in the same right."
Dave Dulberg, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- Robert Sarver, Suns owner - Friday April 18Robert Sarver talks about possible offseason plans.
- Bickley Blast - Friday April 18Does Eric Bledsoe want to spend the prime of his career with the Suns?
- Jon Barry, ESPN NBA insider - Friday April 18Who is the team to beat in the East?
- Channing Frye, Suns forward - Thursday April 17Channing discusses the Suns' completed season, and what he is looking forward to in the offseason.
- Lon Babby, Suns president of basketball operations - Thursday April 17Lon Babby reacts to the Suns' season and talks with the guys about the optimism surrounding the org