Updated Apr 2, 2013 - 4:44 pm
Lon Babby was not ready to leave the Suns
But alas, Babby did agree to the deal, and he'll remain with the franchise through the 2014-15 season.
"At the end of the day, I enthusiastically accept the vote of confidence from Robert and the entire organization to continue and stay the course and see this thing through," Babby told Arizona Sports 620's Doug and Wolf Tuesday. "It just didn't feel like the right time to be leaving."
Babby, who joined the organization in 2010 and has overseen records of 40-42, 33-33 and now 23-51, will continue to try and get the franchise back to an elite status. He believes the franchise is on the right track, with ample draft picks on the way and a decent amount of salary cap space, too.
"The motivation is the thing that motivates every one of us who is a professional: to do the very best you can, to leave things better than you found them," he said, alluding to the situation the franchise was in when he took over, with an aging roster and little cap space, and how it is in better shape now. "But the biggest thing is you want to see through the challenge and I think we've put ourselves in position to where we can begin to make progress.
"We've endured a lot of pain and we've done a lot of the heavy lifting, whether it was getting through the last years of Steve (Nash) and Grant (Hill) and then making a painful coaching change; we've done a lot of heavy lifting and we still have a lot of heavy lifting to get this right, but I think we're on the right track and it just wasn't in my nature to walk away from it at this point."
Adam Green, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- Report: Phoenix Suns reach out to Minnesota Timberwolves about an Eric Bledsoe-Kevin Love trade
- Phoenix Suns don't have a point guard in top ten of WARP projections
- Phoenix Suns 2014 preseason schedule released
- The Pulse: Most say Eric Bledsoe and agent Rich Paul are at fault for contract standoff with Phoenix Suns
- Phoenix Suns single-game tickets now on sale
- Chris Sheridan- sheridanhoops.com - Tuesday August 19Chris Sheridan believes there is one team that could easily make a max contract offer to Eric Bledso
- Who impressed/who depressed - Monday August 18Dan and Vince look back at who impressed and depressed them over the weekend.
- Adrian Wojnarowski- YahooSports NBA writer - Tuesday August 12Adrian Wojnarowski says Eric Bledsoe has backed himself into a corner.
- Bickley Blast - Tuesday August 12Now that Donald Sterling is gone, who is the worst owner in sports?
- Jerry Colangelo, Managing Director of USA Basketball - Friday August 8Jerry Colangelo talks about the Paul George injury and Kevin Durant's departure from Team USA.