Updated Apr 3, 2013 - 4:23 pm
Lindsey Hunter sheds light on sitting Goran Dragic
That stance, coupled with the organization's decision not to play leading scorer Goran Dragic in two games last week, raised some eyebrows.
The Suns lost consecutive games against Utah and Sacramento without Dragic in uniform. The 26-year-old Slovenian point guard wasn't happy about the decision, according to his head coach.
"I wouldn't expect anything less from him," Lindsey Hunter told Burns and Gambo on Arizona Sports 620 Wednesday. "And that's what makes him great -- that competitive fire and that competitive fight."
Dragic is leading the Suns in scoring at 14.5 points per game and ranks tenth in the league in assists at 7.2 per contest.
Hunter also explained that the reason for giving Dragic the rest despite him not being injured was a product of the guard's workload this season.
"That's a big factor, and that's the most important thing for us is his health and keeping him healthy throughout this process," Hunter said.
Dragic will also be representing Slovenia in the FIBA EuroBasket Tournament this summer, which has also been considered by Suns' brass.
"We don't want him limping into the summer and going through that process already feeling kind of run-down, I don't think that would be good for him at all, either," Hunter said. "If we were fighting for a playoff position or contending for a championship, totally different.
"But this isn't that, and we have to look at Goran's welfare and his future more so than anything else."
Vince Marotta, Co-host - Bickley & Marotta, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- An open letter to Eric Bledsoe
- Suns relationship with Bledsoe described as headed towards ruined
- The Pulse: Fans say Suns need to negotiate smaller contract with Eric Bledsoe
- Report: Phoenix Suns' P.J. Tucker arrested in Scottsdale in May for extreme DUI
- ESPN Insider: Goran Dragic is a max-contract candidate after next season
- Chris Sheridan - Tuesday July 22Chris Sheridan weighs in on if Kevin Love will join LeBron in Cleveland.
- Ryan McDonough, Phoenix Suns general manager - Monday July 21General manager Ryan McDonough talks about the Phoenix Suns' offseason plans.
- Isaiah Thomas, Phoenix Suns point guard - Monday July 21Isaiah Thomas talks about his skill set and what he brings to the franchise.
- Marc Spears, Yahoo NBA writer - Friday July 18Yahoo NBA writer Marc Spears says the Warriors are backing out from a Kevin Love trade.
- Paul Coro, AZCentral Sports Suns beat writer - Thursday July 17AZCentral Sports Suns beat writer Paul Coro talks about the continuing free agency of Eric Bledsoe.