Updated Apr 3, 2013 - 4:23 pm
Lindsey Hunter sheds light on sitting Goran Dragic
That stance, coupled with the organization's decision not to play leading scorer Goran Dragic in two games last week, raised some eyebrows.
The Suns lost consecutive games against Utah and Sacramento without Dragic in uniform. The 26-year-old Slovenian point guard wasn't happy about the decision, according to his head coach.
"I wouldn't expect anything less from him," Lindsey Hunter told Burns and Gambo on Arizona Sports 620 Wednesday. "And that's what makes him great -- that competitive fire and that competitive fight."
Dragic is leading the Suns in scoring at 14.5 points per game and ranks tenth in the league in assists at 7.2 per contest.
Hunter also explained that the reason for giving Dragic the rest despite him not being injured was a product of the guard's workload this season.
"That's a big factor, and that's the most important thing for us is his health and keeping him healthy throughout this process," Hunter said.
Dragic will also be representing Slovenia in the FIBA EuroBasket Tournament this summer, which has also been considered by Suns' brass.
"We don't want him limping into the summer and going through that process already feeling kind of run-down, I don't think that would be good for him at all, either," Hunter said. "If we were fighting for a playoff position or contending for a championship, totally different.
"But this isn't that, and we have to look at Goran's welfare and his future more so than anything else."
Vince Marotta, Co-host Dan Bickley Show with Vince Marotta, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- After grueling stretch, Phoenix Suns hope to make up ground in March
- Phoenix Suns' P.J. Tucker suspended by the NBA
- What do you want to be, Eric Bledsoe?
- Coach Jeff Hornacek: Suns 'need to get out of their comfort zone' after recent losses
- Griffin, Clippers top Suns in testy divisional affair: By the Numbers
- Ryan McDonough, Suns general manager - Tuesday March 11Suns general manager Ryan McDonough discusses the return of Eric Bledsoe.
- Jeff Hornacek, Phoenix Suns Head Coach - Tuesday March 11Do the Suns lack toughness?
- It's Paul's Call with Paul Calvisi! - Monday March 10A fishy election in North Korea
- Goran Dragic, Suns Guard - Friday March 7Suns guard Goran Dragic joins the Burns and Gambo show
- Bill Frieder, former Arizona State basketball head coach - Friday March 7Bill Frieder discusses the state of ASU basketball, and what should the NBA do about the draft age t