Updated Apr 18, 2013 - 6:42 am
Suns Strokes: Phoenix closes out 2012-13 season with blowout loss to Denver
Playing without Goran Dragic (ankle) and Jermaine O'Neal (shin), Lindsey Hunter's squad looked listless from the start, as the Nuggets scored 35 points in the first quarter. Denver extended its lead to 26 by halftime with another 30-point quarter in the second period, and from there the final 24 minutes were nothing short of a painful formality.
In his third career start, Kendall Marshall finished his rookie season with a career-high 14 assists. The former first-round pick was, however, only 1-of-5 from the field.
Hamed Haddadi also came off the bench and had a night to remember despite the final outcome. The Suns center scored a career-high 14 points and snagged seven rebounds.
Shannon Brown, who went from bench contributor to starter to rarely-used reserve in 2012-13, also added 13 points on 6-of-8 shooting.
There was plenty of bad in Wednesday's finale (38.8 percent shooting from the field, 28 percent from three-point range, allowing 80 paint points) but the 20-point loss served as a fitting culmination to one of the most painful seasons in franchise history.
The Suns finished with a 25-57 record, their worst since the 1968-1969 expansion season.
• The Utah Jazz didn't do the Suns any favors Wednesday night. Tyrone Corbin's squad lost 86-70 to the Memphis Grizzlies, securing the Los Angeles Lakers' spot in the postseason. Phoenix will only receive one lottery pick in the 2013 NBA Draft.
• With the Cleveland Cavaliers' 105-98 loss to the Charlotte Bobcats Wednesday night, the Suns finished with the fourth-worst record in league. Phoenix will have a 11.9 percent chance to win the No. 1 overall pick.
• The Suns went 12-29 under interim coach Lindsey Hunter.
The Suns' season came to a close Wednesday night, and players will clear out their lockers Thursday at US Airways Center. The upcoming offseason will be one of the more intriguing ones in recent history and dates to look forward to are May 21 (NBA Draft Lottery) and NBA Draft (June 27).
Dave Dulberg, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- Phoenix Suns don't have a point guard in top ten of WARP projections
- Phoenix Suns 2014 preseason schedule released
- The Pulse: Most say Eric Bledsoe and agent Rich Paul are at fault for contract standoff with Phoenix Suns
- Phoenix Suns single-game tickets now on sale
- New Phoenix Suns guard Isaiah Thomas undergoes wrist surgery
- Chris Sheridan- sheridanhoops.com - Tuesday August 19Chris Sheridan believes there is one team that could easily make a max contract offer to Eric Bledso
- Who impressed/who depressed - Monday August 18Dan and Vince look back at who impressed and depressed them over the weekend.
- Adrian Wojnarowski- YahooSports NBA writer - Tuesday August 12Adrian Wojnarowski says Eric Bledsoe has backed himself into a corner.
- Bickley Blast - Tuesday August 12Now that Donald Sterling is gone, who is the worst owner in sports?
- Jerry Colangelo, Managing Director of USA Basketball - Friday August 8Jerry Colangelo talks about the Paul George injury and Kevin Durant's departure from Team USA.