Updated Apr 18, 2013 - 12:49 pm
Gortat: Suns were mentally weak in 2012-13
But what they lacked was, apparently, not always evident in the box score.
"We are missing character, we are missing just strong minds in the team," Suns center Marcin Gortat said Thursday after cleaning out his locker. "We are just weak, mentally weak basically."
Gortat, who missed the team's final 21 games with a foot injury, averaged 11.1 points, 8.5 rebounds and 1.6 blocks per game for the team. Never one to mince words, he added that the team needs more talent and more athleticism.
"People that want to compete and fight," he said. "That's it, that's the most important thing.
"That's the decision to make by the people in the front office; I'm just going to look at myself and try to correct my mistakes and try to be better next year."
And Gortat, admittedly, could do better. Saying he had his own issues "with a lot of different things that didn't involve basketball," the 29-year-old thinks he was just starting to figure things out before the injury.
"Unfortunately the injury was the biggest thing in the season," he said.
Gortat has one year left on a very reasonable contract, and it's possible the team will look to trade him. But that's not for the player to concern himself with, really. All Gortat wants to do -- all he can do -- is try to get healthy and be ready to go next season.
"I'm going to focus on myself, first of all, to become a better player and better leader, and hopefully next year I'm going to perform better."
Adam Green, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- Phoenix Suns launch a social media campaign to find new fan models
- Former Phoenix Suns guard Leandro Barbosa signs with the Golden State Warriors
- Suns guard Goran Dragic limited as Slovenia routed by United States in World Cup exhibition
- Report: Phoenix Suns reach out to Minnesota Timberwolves about an Eric Bledsoe-Kevin Love trade
- Phoenix Suns don't have a point guard in top ten of WARP projections
- Lionel Hollins, head coach Brooklyn Nets - Wednesday August 27The head coach of the Brooklyn Nets joins Doug & Wolf for the ASU Sun Devil Fork Report.
- Kirk Gibson, D-backs manager - Tuesday August 26D-backs manager Kirk Gibson discusses possible changes to a six-man rotation.
- Paul Coro - azcentral sports Suns writer - Tuesday August 26Paul Coro discusses Eric Bledsoe still being a restricted free agent.
- Chris Sheridan- sheridanhoops.com - Tuesday August 19Chris Sheridan believes there is one team that could easily make a max contract offer to Eric Bledso
- Who impressed/who depressed - Monday August 18Dan and Vince look back at who impressed and depressed them over the weekend.