Updated Apr 18, 2013 - 12:49 pm
Gortat: Suns were mentally weak in 2012-13
But what they lacked was, apparently, not always evident in the box score.
"We are missing character, we are missing just strong minds in the team," Suns center Marcin Gortat said Thursday after cleaning out his locker. "We are just weak, mentally weak basically."
Gortat, who missed the team's final 21 games with a foot injury, averaged 11.1 points, 8.5 rebounds and 1.6 blocks per game for the team. Never one to mince words, he added that the team needs more talent and more athleticism.
"People that want to compete and fight," he said. "That's it, that's the most important thing.
"That's the decision to make by the people in the front office; I'm just going to look at myself and try to correct my mistakes and try to be better next year."
And Gortat, admittedly, could do better. Saying he had his own issues "with a lot of different things that didn't involve basketball," the 29-year-old thinks he was just starting to figure things out before the injury.
"Unfortunately the injury was the biggest thing in the season," he said.
Gortat has one year left on a very reasonable contract, and it's possible the team will look to trade him. But that's not for the player to concern himself with, really. All Gortat wants to do -- all he can do -- is try to get healthy and be ready to go next season.
"I'm going to focus on myself, first of all, to become a better player and better leader, and hopefully next year I'm going to perform better."
Adam Green, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- Phoenix Suns' Eric Bledsoe: 'I'm ready to go'
- Suns' Dragic credits new team mindset for success
- Former D-League coach praises work ethic of Suns' Gerald Green
- Suns center Alex Len keeping close tabs on Ukraine, honors country with special message
- Suns Strokes: Green engineers second-half comeback in thrilling win over Thunder
- Goran Dragic, Suns Guard - Friday March 7Suns guard Goran Dragic joins the Burns and Gambo show
- Bill Frieder, former Arizona State basketball head coach - Friday March 7Bill Frieder discusses the state of ASU basketball, and what should the NBA do about the draft age t
- Bickley Blast - Friday March 7The Suns got a signature win, and seem determined to make the playoffs.
- Eric Musselman, ASU basketball associate head coac - Friday March 7Eric Musselman talks about his relationship with Gerald Green, his thoughts on Jahii Carson's seaso
- Tim Kempton, Suns Color Analyst - Friday March 7Will LeBron return to Cleveland?