Updated Apr 23, 2013 - 1:51 pm
Suns looking for ‘first-rate talent evaluator' to fill GM position
And for the second time, Lon Babby, the president of basketball operations, is leading the charge to find what he called "a first-rate talent evaluator." (He used the phrase "a basketball genius" prior to the hiring of Lance Blanks.)
The candidates -- both interested and rumored -- range from the high-profile (Phil Jackson) to the widely popular (Charles Barkley, Grant Hill).
Though, it would seem the people's choices appear to be long shots after Babby said during Tuesday's press conference, "I can't imagine a circumstance where a first-rate talent evaluator hasn't worked in a front office. I suppose it's theoretically possible."
A more probable list of candidates may include current executives Sam Hinkie (Houston), Ryan McDonough (Boston), Troy Weaver (Oklahoma City) and Wes Wilcox (Atlanta), former general managers David Morway of Indiana and Denver's Mark Warkentien, as well as ESPN analyst Tom Penn, who has front office experience with both the Blazers and Grizzlies.
There are also past candidates who may be considered once more such as former Lakers assistant GM Ronnie Lester, Wizards VP of basketball administration Tommy Sheppard and Milwaukee assistant GM Jeff Weltman.
"It doesn't necessarily have to be someone, in my mind, who's had general manager experience," Babby said. "Obviously that would be a plus, but I don't think it's necessary."
What about any in-house candidates? John Treloar, the club's director of player personnel, has more than 30 years of basketball experience. However, most of that time has been spent on the coaching level.
"I would say unlikely but it's never impossible," Babby said about possibly promoting from within. "I do have tremendous confidence in the people that we have that will continue to row the boat for us."
Time is another consideration, given the preparation needed ahead of the draft and free agency.
"We're going to move as quickly as we can," Babby said. "It's obviously a critically, critically important summer for us and a critical decision. I won't rush to get it right, but there is some urgency as we move more and more into the offseason."
Craig Grialou, Reporter
- Owner Robert Sarver: Phoenix Suns not trying to lowball RFA Eric Bledsoe
- An open letter to Eric Bledsoe
- Suns relationship with Bledsoe described as headed towards ruined
- The Pulse: Fans say Suns need to negotiate smaller contract with Eric Bledsoe
- Report: Phoenix Suns' P.J. Tucker arrested in Scottsdale in May for extreme DUI
- Robert Sarver, Phoenix Suns Owner - Friday August 1Phoenix Suns owner Robert Sarver joins the show to discuss Gambo's letter to Eric Bledsoe.
- Chris Sheridan - Tuesday July 22Chris Sheridan weighs in on if Kevin Love will join LeBron in Cleveland.
- Ryan McDonough, Phoenix Suns general manager - Monday July 21General manager Ryan McDonough talks about the Phoenix Suns' offseason plans.
- Isaiah Thomas, Phoenix Suns point guard - Monday July 21Isaiah Thomas talks about his skill set and what he brings to the franchise.
- Marc Spears, Yahoo NBA writer - Friday July 18Yahoo NBA writer Marc Spears says the Warriors are backing out from a Kevin Love trade.