Updated May 7, 2013 - 12:48 pm
GM on board, Suns can move forward with coaching search
Lon Babby, who is the team's president of basketball operations, said the move to bring Ryan McDonough on board does not necessarily mean interim head coach Lindsey Hunter has been eliminated from contention.
"Lindsey is still a candidate, very much so on the list," Babby told Arizona Sports 620's Burns and Gambo Tuesday. "I wouldn't pre-judge anything, but we're going to have a search and we're going to get started on that as quickly as we can."
Babby said part of the interview process when it came to choosing a general manager involved gathering thoughts on the head coaching search, so from this point forward it's safe to assume the organization is on board with whatever plan McDonough has for the role.
"I think we agree on the kind of people we want but I'm not going to prejudge it or comment on it now," he said.
One thing Babby did comment on, though, was that the process of selecting a coach would involve many different voices, as it will be a collaborative effort between himself, McDonough and managing partner Robert Sarver.
"We will go through a process similar to the one that led us to hire Ryan, and he and I will vet the candidates and we'll put together a list, and maybe a shorter list, and we'll bring that person in and see how they interact with various facets of our organization," he said. "One thing I feel very strongly about, going forward, is we all have to be aligned."
Babby said that refers to ownership, the front office, the coaching staff, training staff and players, and is an area "where we definitely need to improve."
"I need to make sure the person we bring in has the kind of broad support that Ryan has," he said. "So it will be a collaborative process and ultimately we'll make the right decision."
Adam Green, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- Suns' Dragic leads Slovenia to Group D win over Mexico at FIBA World Cup
- Suns guard Goran Dragic leads Slovenians to win in World Cup opener
- Phoenix Suns launch a social media campaign to find new fan models
- Former Phoenix Suns guard Leandro Barbosa signs with the Golden State Warriors
- Suns guard Goran Dragic limited as Slovenia routed by United States in World Cup exhibition
- Lionel Hollins, head coach Brooklyn Nets - Wednesday August 27The head coach of the Brooklyn Nets joins Doug & Wolf for the ASU Sun Devil Fork Report.
- Kirk Gibson, D-backs manager - Tuesday August 26D-backs manager Kirk Gibson discusses possible changes to a six-man rotation.
- Paul Coro - azcentral sports Suns writer - Tuesday August 26Paul Coro discusses Eric Bledsoe still being a restricted free agent.
- Chris Sheridan- sheridanhoops.com - Tuesday August 19Chris Sheridan believes there is one team that could easily make a max contract offer to Eric Bledso
- Who impressed/who depressed - Monday August 18Dan and Vince look back at who impressed and depressed them over the weekend.