Updated May 7, 2013 - 4:57 pm
McDonough's the guy, now hand him the keys and let him drive
His quotes won't lead SportsCenter (i.e. Charles Barkley).
The Suns though didn't hire new general manager Ryan McDonough for that. They hired McDonough to turn around a franchise coming off its worst season in 44 years.
McDonough's résumé speaks for itself:
• 10 seasons with the Boston Celtics
• Three seasons as the assistant GM
• Two seasons as the director player personnel
• Amateur and international scouting experience
• Credited for the acquisitions of Rajon Rondo and Avery Bradley
His pedigree describes what president of basketball operations Lon Babby said he was looking for: a "first-rate talent evaluator," which is a must for a team with ten draft choices, including six in the first round (two this year) over the next three years.
Now that that person has been found, the powers-that-be need to get out of the way and allow McDonough the freedom to do his job, which includes bringing respectability back to the fourth-winningest team in NBA history and (sooner rather than later) a return of playoff basketball to US Airways Center.
McDonough, however, can't do that if too many cooks remain in the kitchen.
Everyone means well, but if there is one thing the last three years has shown it's that the Suns will be better off if those charged to make basketball decisions are allowed to make basketball decisions.
Craig Grialou, Reporter
- Phoenix Suns' Eric Bledsoe: 'I'm ready to go'
- Suns' Dragic credits new team mindset for success
- Former D-League coach praises work ethic of Suns' Gerald Green
- Suns center Alex Len keeping close tabs on Ukraine, honors country with special message
- Suns Strokes: Green engineers second-half comeback in thrilling win over Thunder
- Goran Dragic, Suns Guard - Friday March 7Suns guard Goran Dragic joins the Burns and Gambo show
- Bill Frieder, former Arizona State basketball head coach - Friday March 7Bill Frieder discusses the state of ASU basketball, and what should the NBA do about the draft age t
- Bickley Blast - Friday March 7The Suns got a signature win, and seem determined to make the playoffs.
- Eric Musselman, ASU basketball associate head coac - Friday March 7Eric Musselman talks about his relationship with Gerald Green, his thoughts on Jahii Carson's seaso
- Tim Kempton, Suns Color Analyst - Friday March 7Will LeBron return to Cleveland?