Updated May 7, 2013 - 4:57 pm
McDonough's the guy, now hand him the keys and let him drive
His quotes won't lead SportsCenter (i.e. Charles Barkley).
The Suns though didn't hire new general manager Ryan McDonough for that. They hired McDonough to turn around a franchise coming off its worst season in 44 years.
McDonough's résumé speaks for itself:
• 10 seasons with the Boston Celtics
• Three seasons as the assistant GM
• Two seasons as the director player personnel
• Amateur and international scouting experience
• Credited for the acquisitions of Rajon Rondo and Avery Bradley
His pedigree describes what president of basketball operations Lon Babby said he was looking for: a "first-rate talent evaluator," which is a must for a team with ten draft choices, including six in the first round (two this year) over the next three years.
Now that that person has been found, the powers-that-be need to get out of the way and allow McDonough the freedom to do his job, which includes bringing respectability back to the fourth-winningest team in NBA history and (sooner rather than later) a return of playoff basketball to US Airways Center.
McDonough, however, can't do that if too many cooks remain in the kitchen.
Everyone means well, but if there is one thing the last three years has shown it's that the Suns will be better off if those charged to make basketball decisions are allowed to make basketball decisions.
Craig Grialou, Reporter
- Suns' Dragic leads Slovenia to Group D win over Mexico at FIBA World Cup
- Suns guard Goran Dragic leads Slovenians to win in World Cup opener
- Phoenix Suns launch a social media campaign to find new fan models
- Former Phoenix Suns guard Leandro Barbosa signs with the Golden State Warriors
- Suns guard Goran Dragic limited as Slovenia routed by United States in World Cup exhibition
- Lionel Hollins, head coach Brooklyn Nets - Wednesday August 27The head coach of the Brooklyn Nets joins Doug & Wolf for the ASU Sun Devil Fork Report.
- Kirk Gibson, D-backs manager - Tuesday August 26D-backs manager Kirk Gibson discusses possible changes to a six-man rotation.
- Paul Coro - azcentral sports Suns writer - Tuesday August 26Paul Coro discusses Eric Bledsoe still being a restricted free agent.
- Chris Sheridan- sheridanhoops.com - Tuesday August 19Chris Sheridan believes there is one team that could easily make a max contract offer to Eric Bledso
- Who impressed/who depressed - Monday August 18Dan and Vince look back at who impressed and depressed them over the weekend.