Updated May 9, 2013 - 4:59 pm
Ryan McDonough introduced, focused on Suns coaching search
"My first order of business as the general manager is to find the best guy for that job," McDonough said. "Obviously, I'll be working closely with Robert (Sarver) and Lon (Babby) and the rest of our staff on that."
McDonough, who spent the last decade in several capacities in the Boston front office, including serving as assistant GM under Danny Ainge, says the process of finding the next coach began even before he landed the job in Phoenix.
"That was part of my interview with Robert and Lon -- we discussed potential coaching candidates and who we thought would be good fits," he said. "And we were in alignment on a lot of the names -- most of the names. So we have an initial list to go off of.
"We've received a good amount of interest from people all over the basketball world who want to be the coach of this storied franchise and they see a great opportunity here."
Alvin Gentry started the 2012-13 season as head coach but was fired after 41 games, paving the way for interim Lindsey Hunter to finish the season. The Suns limped to a 25-57 record -- the second-worst in team history.
There has been much speculation on Hunter's future with the organization, and McDonough confirmed that he's in the mix.
"We will meet with Lindsey," he said. "I don't know him very well, but I've heard good things about Lindsey's character, and his toughness and his work ethic. So Lindsey is a candidate. I know he's interviewed for jobs elsewhere, but he's a candidate for us as well and we're going to go into it with an open mind and consider all the top guys, and Lindsey is one of the top guys."
Hunter interviewed with the Detroit Pistons about their vacant coaching position last month after the team fired Lawrence Frank following a 29-53 campaign.
Vince Marotta, Co-host - Bickley & Marotta, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- Phoenix Suns don't have a point guard in top ten of WARP projections
- Phoenix Suns 2014 preseason schedule released
- The Pulse: Most say Eric Bledsoe and agent Rich Paul are at fault for contract standoff with Phoenix Suns
- Phoenix Suns single-game tickets now on sale
- New Phoenix Suns guard Isaiah Thomas undergoes wrist surgery
- Chris Sheridan- sheridanhoops.com - Tuesday August 19Chris Sheridan believes there is one team that could easily make a max contract offer to Eric Bledso
- Who impressed/who depressed - Monday August 18Dan and Vince look back at who impressed and depressed them over the weekend.
- Adrian Wojnarowski- YahooSports NBA writer - Tuesday August 12Adrian Wojnarowski says Eric Bledsoe has backed himself into a corner.
- Bickley Blast - Tuesday August 12Now that Donald Sterling is gone, who is the worst owner in sports?
- Jerry Colangelo, Managing Director of USA Basketball - Friday August 8Jerry Colangelo talks about the Paul George injury and Kevin Durant's departure from Team USA.