Updated May 9, 2013 - 4:59 pm
Ryan McDonough introduced, focused on Suns coaching search
"My first order of business as the general manager is to find the best guy for that job," McDonough said. "Obviously, I'll be working closely with Robert (Sarver) and Lon (Babby) and the rest of our staff on that."
McDonough, who spent the last decade in several capacities in the Boston front office, including serving as assistant GM under Danny Ainge, says the process of finding the next coach began even before he landed the job in Phoenix.
"That was part of my interview with Robert and Lon -- we discussed potential coaching candidates and who we thought would be good fits," he said. "And we were in alignment on a lot of the names -- most of the names. So we have an initial list to go off of.
"We've received a good amount of interest from people all over the basketball world who want to be the coach of this storied franchise and they see a great opportunity here."
Alvin Gentry started the 2012-13 season as head coach but was fired after 41 games, paving the way for interim Lindsey Hunter to finish the season. The Suns limped to a 25-57 record -- the second-worst in team history.
There has been much speculation on Hunter's future with the organization, and McDonough confirmed that he's in the mix.
"We will meet with Lindsey," he said. "I don't know him very well, but I've heard good things about Lindsey's character, and his toughness and his work ethic. So Lindsey is a candidate. I know he's interviewed for jobs elsewhere, but he's a candidate for us as well and we're going to go into it with an open mind and consider all the top guys, and Lindsey is one of the top guys."
Hunter interviewed with the Detroit Pistons about their vacant coaching position last month after the team fired Lawrence Frank following a 29-53 campaign.
Vince Marotta, Co-host - Bickley & Marotta, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- Report: Phoenix Suns' P.J. Tucker arrested in Scottsdale in May for extreme DUI
- ESPN Insider: Goran Dragic is a max-contract candidate after next season
- Eric Bledsoe: 'I can understand the Suns are using restricted free agency against me'
- Phoenix Suns waive guard Dionte Christmas
- P.J. Tucker and cash deserved
- Chris Sheridan - Tuesday July 22Chris Sheridan weighs in on if Kevin Love will join LeBron in Cleveland.
- Ryan McDonough, Phoenix Suns general manager - Monday July 21General manager Ryan McDonough talks about the Phoenix Suns' offseason plans.
- Isaiah Thomas, Phoenix Suns point guard - Monday July 21Isaiah Thomas talks about his skill set and what he brings to the franchise.
- Marc Spears, Yahoo NBA writer - Friday July 18Yahoo NBA writer Marc Spears says the Warriors are backing out from a Kevin Love trade.
- Paul Coro, AZCentral Sports Suns beat writer - Thursday July 17AZCentral Sports Suns beat writer Paul Coro talks about the continuing free agency of Eric Bledsoe.