Updated May 10, 2013 - 11:04 am
Suns need talent upgrade ‘across the board'
"There's a great infrastructure in place to have success," Lance Blanks said on August 25, 2010. "So part of my job will be staying out of the way and not messing things up."
Two days after his hire, Ryan McDonough gave us this:
"There are some good, young pieces in place here. There's some good talent on the roster," he said during his introductory press conference Thursday. "Lon (Babby) and Robert (Sarver) and their staffs here have done a good job of acquiring draft picks and young players and positioning this team for sustainable success."
Of course, he then added this caveat two minutes later:
"The Suns did win 25 games last year so the talent needs to be upgraded across the board. However, there are some good pieces in place here."
McDonough, the team's fifth general manager in seven years, specifically mentioned Goran Dragic, Marcin Gortat, Jared Dudley and Luis Scola before dropping the names of Marcus and Markieff Morris as well as Kendall Marshall.
One player not mentioned: Michael Beasley.
To be fair, however, McDonough did say on more than one occasion he was not "going to go through the entire roster."
There will be plenty of time to do that later.
"There is something here," he continued. "We're going to try to supplant that and maximize those guys' abilities. We're going to obviously bring in a few draft picks as well and try to take the next step for the Phoenix Suns."
Craig Grialou, Reporter
- Bickley Blast - Tuesday April 15Dan goes off on the Suns missing the playoffs.
- Jeff Hornacek, Suns head coach - Tuesday April 15Why were the Suns able to surpass early season expectations?
- The DISH - April 14, 2014 - Monday April 14Jon Bloom gives us the Day In Suns History.
- The DISH - April 12, 2014 - Saturday April 12Jon Bloom gives us the Day in Suns' History.
- Chris Broussard, ESPN NBA insider - Friday April 11NBA insider Chris Broussard dicsusses the NBA playoff race.