Updated May 21, 2013 - 6:34 pm
Jared Dudley: Next Suns coach needs to develop talent, teach fundamentals
Dudley, who has already played for five coaches (Sam Vincent, Larry Brown, Terry Porter, Alvin Gentry and Lindsey Hunter) during his NBA career, told Arizona Sports 620's Doug and Wolf Tuesday that prior pro experience shouldn't be the determining factor.
"You can show me examples of people who haven't played and who have been successful, and people who have played and been successful," Dudley said. "My whole thing is you need someone -- with our team being a young team -- who can develop young talent. We have three first-round picks still here after this year's draft."
The Suns' youth and subsequent inability to execute fundamentals certainly played a role in the team's disappointing 25-57 campaign in 2012-13. Phoenix was second-worst in the league in turnovers per game (14.9) and third-worst in point differential (-6.4) this season.
The way Dudley sees it, the next coach can't just be one-dimensional, though. In addition to developing talent, the Suns forward believes being a respected teacher is pivotal to the position.
"We lack the ball movement and knowing all the plays and counters," said Dudley. "So, we need someone who knows X's and O's really, really good and can show us that. If he can play X spot or coach it, we'll take him."
Dave Dulberg, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- Phoenix Suns launch a social media campaign to find new fan models
- Former Phoenix Suns guard Leandro Barbosa signs with the Golden State Warriors
- Suns guard Goran Dragic limited as Slovenia routed by United States in World Cup exhibition
- Report: Phoenix Suns reach out to Minnesota Timberwolves about an Eric Bledsoe-Kevin Love trade
- Phoenix Suns don't have a point guard in top ten of WARP projections
- Lionel Hollins, head coach Brooklyn Nets - Wednesday August 27The head coach of the Brooklyn Nets joins Doug & Wolf for the ASU Sun Devil Fork Report.
- Kirk Gibson, D-backs manager - Tuesday August 26D-backs manager Kirk Gibson discusses possible changes to a six-man rotation.
- Paul Coro - azcentral sports Suns writer - Tuesday August 26Paul Coro discusses Eric Bledsoe still being a restricted free agent.
- Chris Sheridan- sheridanhoops.com - Tuesday August 19Chris Sheridan believes there is one team that could easily make a max contract offer to Eric Bledso
- Who impressed/who depressed - Monday August 18Dan and Vince look back at who impressed and depressed them over the weekend.