Updated May 21, 2013 - 6:34 pm
Jared Dudley: Next Suns coach needs to develop talent, teach fundamentals
Dudley, who has already played for five coaches (Sam Vincent, Larry Brown, Terry Porter, Alvin Gentry and Lindsey Hunter) during his NBA career, told Arizona Sports 620's Doug and Wolf Tuesday that prior pro experience shouldn't be the determining factor.
"You can show me examples of people who haven't played and who have been successful, and people who have played and been successful," Dudley said. "My whole thing is you need someone -- with our team being a young team -- who can develop young talent. We have three first-round picks still here after this year's draft."
The Suns' youth and subsequent inability to execute fundamentals certainly played a role in the team's disappointing 25-57 campaign in 2012-13. Phoenix was second-worst in the league in turnovers per game (14.9) and third-worst in point differential (-6.4) this season.
The way Dudley sees it, the next coach can't just be one-dimensional, though. In addition to developing talent, the Suns forward believes being a respected teacher is pivotal to the position.
"We lack the ball movement and knowing all the plays and counters," said Dudley. "So, we need someone who knows X's and O's really, really good and can show us that. If he can play X spot or coach it, we'll take him."
Dave Dulberg, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- Reserves lead Suns to season-ending win over Kings: By The Numbers
- Suns general manager Ryan McDonough: 'We'd like to have' Channing Frye back next season
- Phoenix Suns GM: It would be a waste of time for another team to pursue Eric Bledsoe
- If you dislike Robert Sarver, don't read this!
- Robert Sarver reflects on his 10 years at the helm of the Phoenix Suns
- Ryan McDonough, Suns general manager - Wednesday April 16Suns general manager Ryan McDonough discusses the team missing the playoffs.
- The DISH - April 16, 2014 - Wednesday April 16Jon Bloom gives us The Day in Suns' History.
- Bickley Blast - Tuesday April 15Dan goes off on the Suns missing the playoffs.
- Jeff Hornacek, Suns head coach - Tuesday April 15Why were the Suns able to surpass early season expectations?
- The DISH - April 14, 2014 - Monday April 14Jon Bloom gives us the Day In Suns History.