Updated May 28, 2013 - 8:43 am
Suns officially hire Jeff Hornacek as head coach
Former Suns guard Jeff Hornacek, who played with the team from 1986 to 1992, was hired Tuesday morning to take over for interim head coach Lindsey Hunter.
"We are thrilled to introduce Jeff Hornacek as the new head coach of the Phoenix Suns," said Suns General Manager Ryan McDonough. "Jeff has all of the qualities we were looking for in a head coach -- he is a leader, a teacher and a student of the game. Jeff's name has been high on our list ever since my first interview with the Suns. His successes as a player and as an assistant coach, along with his deep ties to this franchise and this community, give us confidence that he will do great things as the next head coach of the Phoenix Suns."
Hornacek, a former walk-on at Iowa State, was a second-round draft pick of the Suns in 1986. The 6-foot-4 guard became a starter in his second season, and cemented himself in that role over the next five years.
In 1991-92, Hornacek averaged a career-high 20.1 points and played in the All-Star Game for the only time in his career.
During that offseason, he was traded along with forward Tim Perry and center Andrew Lang to the Philadelphia 76ers for forward Charles Barkley.
After a year and a half in Philadelphia, Hornacek was traded to Utah, where he became a key cog in their run to back-to-back NBA Finals appearances in 1997 and 1998.
Hornacek retired from the NBA following the 1999-2000 season and joined the Jazz coaching staff in 2007 as a shooting coach. He became a full-time assistant under head coach Tyrone Corbin.
The Suns will introduce their new head coach at a press conference at US Airways Center Tuesday morning.
- Kentucky freshman Julius Randle to enter NBA draft
- Jeff Hornacek: We got it back to Phoenix Suns basketball
- Suns' Jeff Hornacek finishes behind Spurs' Gregg Popovich in Coach of the Year voting
- Phoenix Suns' vocal, emotional leader P.J. Tucker wants to return
- Suns analyst: Team would benefit from veteran experience, clutch performer
- Tim Kempton, Suns analyst - Tuesday April 22Suns radio analyst Tim Kempton calls in to react to the blast.
- Bickley Blast - Tuesday April 22Bickley blasts on postseason awards and how making it in the playoffs makes a huge difference
- Eddie Johnson, Suns analyst - Monday April 21Suns analyst Eddie Johnson talks about the NBA playoffs.
- Robert Sarver, Suns owner - Friday April 18Robert Sarver talks about possible offseason plans.
- Bickley Blast - Friday April 18Does Eric Bledsoe want to spend the prime of his career with the Suns?