Updated May 30, 2013 - 1:50 pm
ESPN: Suns' future remains fairly bleak
A lottery team for three consecutive seasons following a trip to the Western Conference Finals, they've gone through a couple general managers as well as a couple different coaches.
The hope is that the combination of Ryan McDonough as GM and Jeff Hornacek as coach will stabilize things, and a bevy of draft picks over the next few years will help get the team back on track.
However, the folks over at ESPN.com are not terribly optimistic about the franchise's trajectory.
In their latest "Future Power Rankings," which is an Insider piece, Phoenix comes in at No. 29. Of 30 teams.
The overall ranking is based on a criteria that includes players (30th), management (29th), money (25th), market (11th) and draft (3rd).
Saying that bad draft picks, poor free agent decisions and misguided trades have set them back, Chad Ford (who wrote the Suns section) notes that there is some hope going forward.
The Suns have the No. 5 and No. 30 picks in this year's draft and have a total of six first-round picks in the next three years. They also got a small bump in Management thanks to the hiring of former Celtics assistant GM Ryan McDonough.
But other than that? Not much. With no cornerstones for the Suns to build around, it's going to be grim for a while. The loaded 2014 draft might be their best way out of the mire.
Indeed, the 2014 draft is regarded to boast one of the better crops of talent of any in recent memory. But if the Suns are in as rough shape as ESPN seems to believe, even that might not be enough to get them going again.
Adam Green, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- Morris twins 'better together' for Phoenix Suns
- Suns GM McDonough not surprised by Phoenix's strong start
- Phoenix Suns' Eric Bledsoe makes ESPN's list of top NBA players under 25
- Kobe still winless after Suns beat Lakers 114-108
- Suns Strokes: Offensive outburst hands Phoenix first road win vs. Lakers since 2010
- Lon Babby, Suns president of basketball operations - Thursday December 12The Suns surprising run to start the season continues.
- Al McCoy, Hall of Fame Voice of the Suns - Thursday December 12Al McCoy discuss the Suns big win against the Lakers and what is coming up next for the team.
- Ryan McDonough, Suns General Manager - Wednesday December 11Ryan McDonough talks about the Suns' recent success after beating the Los Angeles Lakers.
- Jeff Hornacek, Suns Head Coach - Tuesday December 10How will they prepare for Kobe Bryant?
- The DISH - December 10, 2013 - Tuesday December 10Jon Bloom gives us the day in Suns' history.