Updated May 30, 2013 - 1:50 pm
ESPN: Suns' future remains fairly bleak
A lottery team for three consecutive seasons following a trip to the Western Conference Finals, they've gone through a couple general managers as well as a couple different coaches.
The hope is that the combination of Ryan McDonough as GM and Jeff Hornacek as coach will stabilize things, and a bevy of draft picks over the next few years will help get the team back on track.
However, the folks over at ESPN.com are not terribly optimistic about the franchise's trajectory.
In their latest "Future Power Rankings," which is an Insider piece, Phoenix comes in at No. 29. Of 30 teams.
The overall ranking is based on a criteria that includes players (30th), management (29th), money (25th), market (11th) and draft (3rd).
Saying that bad draft picks, poor free agent decisions and misguided trades have set them back, Chad Ford (who wrote the Suns section) notes that there is some hope going forward.
The Suns have the No. 5 and No. 30 picks in this year's draft and have a total of six first-round picks in the next three years. They also got a small bump in Management thanks to the hiring of former Celtics assistant GM Ryan McDonough.
But other than that? Not much. With no cornerstones for the Suns to build around, it's going to be grim for a while. The loaded 2014 draft might be their best way out of the mire.
Indeed, the 2014 draft is regarded to boast one of the better crops of talent of any in recent memory. But if the Suns are in as rough shape as ESPN seems to believe, even that might not be enough to get them going again.
Adam Green, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- Kentucky freshman Julius Randle to enter NBA draft
- Jeff Hornacek: We got it back to Phoenix Suns basketball
- Suns' Jeff Hornacek finishes behind Spurs' Gregg Popovich in Coach of the Year voting
- Phoenix Suns' vocal, emotional leader P.J. Tucker wants to return
- Suns analyst: Team would benefit from veteran experience, clutch performer
- Tim Kempton, Suns analyst - Tuesday April 22Suns radio analyst Tim Kempton calls in to react to the blast.
- Bickley Blast - Tuesday April 22Bickley blasts on postseason awards and how making it in the playoffs makes a huge difference
- Eddie Johnson, Suns analyst - Monday April 21Suns analyst Eddie Johnson talks about the NBA playoffs.
- Robert Sarver, Suns owner - Friday April 18Robert Sarver talks about possible offseason plans.
- Bickley Blast - Friday April 18Does Eric Bledsoe want to spend the prime of his career with the Suns?