Updated May 31, 2013 - 4:22 pm
Former Suns GM Kerr thinks team is heading in the right direction
That was 2010, and now Kerr is an NBA analyst for TNT.
A guest of Arizona Sports 620's Doug and Wolf Friday, Kerr said it will take a little while to rebuild the team, but that the hires of Ryan McDonough as GM and Jeff Hornacek as head coach are steps in the right direction for the team.
"I met Ryan before he was considered for the job and he called me when he went through the interview process to ask me about the situation," Kerr said. "I was really impressed. He's sharp and he's hungry. He's going to work hard and I think he's going to enjoy what he does."
McDonough, though, is only half of the offseason overhaul that has restored a bit of hope to Planet Orange.
"I was a teammate of Jeff my rookie year in Phoenix and he was here, and he was kind of a mentor for me," Kerr said, adding he thinks very highly of the Suns' new coach. "I think it was a great hire because of his connection to the Suns, not only the fact that he's smart and a great guy and players will like playing for him, but I think it's important to keep that connection to the past with the great history of the organization."
But, as Kerr said, don't expect the franchise's fortunes to change overnight. While the McDonough/Hornacek duo may ultimately do well for the team, it's going to take time for the results to really show on the court. After all, the Suns won 25 games last year for a reason.
"This is how it goes in the NBA," he said. "Everything goes in cycles and I think this is kind of the ground floor of what's going to be a good run for Phoenix."
Adam Green, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- Phoenix Suns launch a social media campaign to find new fan models
- Former Phoenix Suns guard Leandro Barbosa signs with the Golden State Warriors
- Suns guard Goran Dragic limited as Slovenia routed by United States in World Cup exhibition
- Report: Phoenix Suns reach out to Minnesota Timberwolves about an Eric Bledsoe-Kevin Love trade
- Phoenix Suns don't have a point guard in top ten of WARP projections
- Lionel Hollins, head coach Brooklyn Nets - Wednesday August 27The head coach of the Brooklyn Nets joins Doug & Wolf for the ASU Sun Devil Fork Report.
- Kirk Gibson, D-backs manager - Tuesday August 26D-backs manager Kirk Gibson discusses possible changes to a six-man rotation.
- Paul Coro - azcentral sports Suns writer - Tuesday August 26Paul Coro discusses Eric Bledsoe still being a restricted free agent.
- Chris Sheridan- sheridanhoops.com - Tuesday August 19Chris Sheridan believes there is one team that could easily make a max contract offer to Eric Bledso
- Who impressed/who depressed - Monday August 18Dan and Vince look back at who impressed and depressed them over the weekend.