Updated Jun 11, 2013 - 11:36 am
Rumor: Suns could deal Marcin Gortat if it means landing Cody Zeller
One such involves the Phoenix Suns, and the possibility that they are interested in Indiana center Cody Zeller.
Zeller worked out for the Suns last week and impressed the team with how well he shot the ball.
"Most guys they grow up, and they're shooting outside anyways. Even a guy like him, I anticipated the 15 to 18-foot range, and that he'd be pretty decent -- which he was," Suns coach Jeff Hornacek said. "But, as he moved farther out, his shot didn't change. It was the same stroke. It didn't look like he was forcing to get it up there. There's a lot of big guys that don't shoot that shot a lot, so it looks like a real strain. He didn't, he shot it normally."
But as anyone knows, having interest in a player is a completely separate thing from being willing to trade someone to get him, though according to Fox Sports NBA writer Sam Amico, that's exactly what the Suns might do.
When asked about a rumor that has Phoenix sending center Marcin Gortat to the Portland Trail Blazers for the 10th pick in the draft, Amico responded, "If Zeller drops to 10, hear it could happen. Suns seem to love him."
Gortat, who was acquired by the Suns in December of 2010, was averaging 11.1 points and 8.5 rebounds per game last season before going down with a Lisfranc sprain in early March. The team's starting center, he had emerged as a consistent player and solid value for the team.
However, Gortat is in the prime of his career at age 29, and it's likely that by the time the Suns are a contending team again, he will not be as effective. Plus, he'll be a free agent following the 2013-14 season, and it's possible the team will not want to pay what it will cost to keep him in town.
So, the Suns may decide it makes sense to part with him now to add a young piece, and in Zeller would be getting a guy who averaged 16.5 points and 8.1 rebounds per game for Indiana as a sophomore last season.
- Suns' Dragic credits new team mindset for success
- Former D-League coach praises work ethic of Suns' Gerald Green
- Suns center Alex Len keeping close tabs on Ukraine, honors country with special message
- Suns Strokes: Green engineers second-half comeback in thrilling win over Thunder
- Green, Suns storm past Thunder in statement victory: By the Numbers
- Goran Dragic, Suns Guard - Friday March 7Suns guard Goran Dragic joins the Burns and Gambo show
- Bill Frieder, former Arizona State basketball head coach - Friday March 7Bill Frieder discusses the state of ASU basketball, and what should the NBA do about the draft age t
- Bickley Blast - Friday March 7The Suns got a signature win, and seem determined to make the playoffs.
- Eric Musselman, ASU basketball associate head coac - Friday March 7Eric Musselman talks about his relationship with Gerald Green, his thoughts on Jahii Carson's seaso
- Tim Kempton, Suns Color Analyst - Friday March 7Will LeBron return to Cleveland?